SPORTS FANS UNITED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPORTS FANS UNITED

ALL SPORTS ALL THE TIME!!!! COME TALK SPORTS WITH US...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Wainwright says he's ready

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Wainwright says he's ready Empty
PostSubject: Wainwright says he's ready   Wainwright says he's ready Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 4:30 pm

By Joe Strauss
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
08/20/2008

Suggesting a modification of the team’s previously stated blueprint, disabled Cardinals pitcher Adam Wainwright insisted Tuesday he is ready to pitch, preferably in the team’s starting rotation as early as Friday’s series opener against the Atlanta Braves.

Wainwright completed a bullpen throw Tuesday little more than an hour after fellow disabled starter Chris Carpenter threw for about 10 minutes in the Busch Stadium outfield.

Tuesday’s abbreviated session was Carpenter’s first throw since leaving an Aug. 10 start against the Chicago Cubs with posterior shoulder discomfort. Carpenter emerged insisting that he experienced no residual pain; however, it is increasingly clear that Wainwright is closer to stepping into the rotation than is Carpenter.

"I’m ready," Wainwright insisted. "If they told me that I’m starting tomorrow, I’d feel ready except for that I just threw a side. I’m ready to face hitters in the big leagues. I know I can get guys out now."

Disabled since damaging the sheath surrounding the flexor tendon attached to his right middle finger during a June 6 start, Wainwright made clear a growing impatience to return. He also emphasized his preference to start over serving as the team’s fourth closer this season.

"It’s frustrating to know I’m ready to pitch and I don’t have a role," Wainwright said. "But they’ll let me know as soon as they can. There’s nothing they’re doing to me personally. It’s the way it is. They have to decide how they want to use me here."

Pressed on the matter, Wainwright said, "I would only speculate that I’m starting. But I don’t know that. I think it all depends on how No. 29 [Carpenter] feels."

La Russa seemed to make room for Wainwright’s return as a starter.

"They’re together but there’s enough separation that I think you’ve got to do what’s best for Adam and our club right now, and then get Carp’ ready as soon as we can and see where we are," La Russa said.

Carpenter is expected to throw again today, perhaps off the bullpen mound. "I’m sure I’ll do at least what I did today, probably a little more," the 2005 Cy Young Award winner said. "It was a good step, definitely."

"I’m keeping my fingers crossed that Carpenter gets back in there sooner rather than later," La Russa said.

Carpenter is not eligible to leave the disabled list until Aug. 26.

"I don’t know what’s realistic," La Russa said.

Wainwright, however, may be activated as soon as today.

"My season hasn’t gone like I wanted it to," said Wainwright, 6-3 with a 3.14 ERA in 13 starts when disabled. "It started off like I wanted to but I obviously didn’t get to finish it like I wanted.

"I can still have that good end to the year. I know I can help this team win. I know this team has a great chance to win. I’m excited to be part of it. I just don’t know which role yet."

Wainwright’s 4 2/3 shutout innings Saturday for Double-A Springfield convinced him. Wainwright struck out seven and allowed one hit while enjoying normal feel with the affected finger.

"I think my last outing shows I’m at least pretty ready," Wainwright said "I hope they believe me."

As recently as Sunday, Cardinals pitching coach Dave Duncan indicated Wainwright would likely serve in a relief role if the club believed Carpenter close to returning. Duncan minimized the possibility of the two pitchers both working out of the rotation; general manager John Mozeliak seconded Duncan’s stance Monday, saying Carpenter’s projected return would dictate Wainwright’s role.

Asked about potentially returning to middle relief in lieu of making another rehab start, Wainwright blanched.

"I don’t even want to talk about middle relief," Wainwright said, adding, "I don’t think they’d put me in the bullpen to be a middle reliever. I just don’t see the value of me there."

Wainwright’s candidness before media and in a subsequent meeting with La Russa seemed to jumble that equation. La Russa would not discount the possibility of Wainwright making a fourth rehab appearance, something the pitcher said he would be "incredibly disappointed" to learn.

"I wouldn’t feel right about it," Wainwright added. "Everybody wants to play in the big leagues."

"I would probably prefer it if he had said he would come back however we needed him," La Russa said. "I know he wants to be a starter. He’s worked to be a starter all year long. He’s having a terrific season as a starter. But I know he’ll do whatever we need."

Said Duncan: "Is [Wainwright] there where your would eventually want him? Probably not. But as far as the stuff he’s shown, it’s good."

The notion of Carpenter and Wainwright joining forces in the rotation enjoys support within some quarters of a clubhouse that recognizes the need to construct a lengthy winning streak during a six-week push to the postseason.

La Russa and Duncan likewise appreciate the sensitivity of tinkering with a rotation solid so far this month. Once considered its weak link, Joel Pineiro has won his last three starts. Todd Wellemeyer (3.79) owns the lowest ERA among the starters, Braden Looper entered Tuesday’s outing with a 2.18 ERA in his last five starts and Kyle Lohse is tied for fifth in the league with 13 wins. The club planned to adopt a 4-man rotation through the current seven-game, 11-day home stand.

"It’s a shame we don’t have a doubleheader," Wainwright said.

"There is some room for maneuvering," said La Russa, later adding, "anything is possible right now. We’re going to do whatever’s best for him."

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/8E7CF6AB1DE4BE68862574AB00155BB7?OpenDocument
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1