SPORTS FANS UNITED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPORTS FANS UNITED

ALL SPORTS ALL THE TIME!!!! COME TALK SPORTS WITH US...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Seahawks' Tatupu warming to latest technology

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Seahawks' Tatupu warming to latest technology Empty
PostSubject: Seahawks' Tatupu warming to latest technology   Seahawks' Tatupu warming to latest technology Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 7:16 am

By CLARE FARNSWORTH
P-I REPORTER

RENTON -- Lofa Tatupu cupped his hands around the ear holes in his helmet. Then, while still staring toward the Seahawks sideline, the Pro Bowl middle linebacker made that "hurry up" gesture by quickly rolling his hands.

What was Tatupu doing last Saturday night during the team's preseason home opener against the Chicago Bears at Qwest Field?

Just dealing with, and trying to adapt to, the NFL's latest venture into on-field technology: allowing the defense to use the same in-helmet receivers that quarterbacks have had for several seasons.

Tatupu has had a change-isn't-always-for-the-better attitude since the device for defensive players was approved at the owners meeting in April.

In fact, he initially wanted no part of it. Neither did free safety Brian Russell. The next logical choice was strong safety Deon Grant, but he wasn't exactly enamored with having one more thing to deal with just before the snap, either.

They're not alone. The proposal was rejected the previous two offseasons and passed by only one vote this time -- the Seahawks were one of seven teams to vote against it in April.

The proposal passed this time, in large part, because of the Spygate incident last season when the New England Patriots were found guilty of videotaping the sideline signals used by the New York Jets.

"It's a tremendous benefit for the defense, especially with Spygate and all that stuff," said linebackers coach Zerick Rollins, who still signals and now also calls the plays in to Tatupu. "It helps us, and it protects us to where you know a team can't steal your signals."

Now that it's here, Tatupu is the obvious player to wear it, since he makes the defensive calls in the huddle.

So he and backup middle linebacker David Hawthorne have been wired for sound in the first two preseason games and will continue to wear the receiver helmets in Monday night's nationally televised games against the Chargers in San Diego.

"It's not too bad," Tatupu said. "But you know me, I'm a little stubborn. I don't prefer it."

Rollins understands Tatupu's apprehension and is trying to limit the chatter -- for now.

"The big thing for Lofa, he really doesn't like to have anybody in his ear on game day," Rollins said. "So for the first couple of times, I've just tried to give him the call and let him get used to it."

That will change, Rollins said, once Tatupu gets used to the new system.

For now, the experiment has been hit and miss.

During the preseason opener against the Minnesota Vikings two weeks ago, Tatupu often could not hear the signals being relayed from the sideline.

Not due to the crowd noise, but because of the stadium-generated racket that makes the atmosphere at the Metrodome more like an NBA game.

"It was awful," he said. "I couldn't hear at all."

And what about the gyrations last week?

"I was telling them to hurry up, because that thing is going to shut off," Tatupu said.

The radio in Tatupu's helmet is clicked on for 25 seconds and goes off with 15 seconds remaining on the 45-second play clock.

The noise issue in Minneapolis and the time limitation are why the Seahawks still use hand signals on occasion.

"If you rely too much on (the receiver) and kind of get away from the hand signals, I could definitely see it being a problem," he said. "And if it goes down, you're really in trouble.

"So we still sneak in some hand signals now and then."

While Tatupu might be adapting to it, that doesn't mean he's going to adopt it as a good move.

"I'm still against it," he said.

FOCUS ON: BACKS

The anatomy of the Seahawks' single, full-pads practice Friday was the backs belonging to center Chris Spencer and quarterback Matt Hasselbeck.

Both are better. But Spencer saw his first real action after being sidelined for most of training camp with a strained back, while Hasselbeck again sat out to rest his tight back.

Neither is expected to play in Monday night's nationally televised preseason game against the Chargers in San Diego. That means No. 3 quarterback Charlie Frye will start for the second consecutive game and backup guard Steve Vallos will continue to fill in at center.

"You get a little tight back. Or wake up funny. Or you tweak it. Whatever," coach Mike Holmgren said when asked about Hasselbeck. "You just have to let it calm down a little bit.

"He's much better today. As I said (Wednesday), he's got to be ready to play (in the Sept. 7 regular-season opener)."

Holmgren is not concerned about Hasselbeck's inactivity. But Spencer's prolonged absence was beginning to worry him. That's why having Spencer take limited snaps with the No. 1 line was a huge step in getting him ready for the opener.

"That was encouraging," Holmgren said. "Very, very encouraging."

Holmgren said Spencer will get some time in the Aug. 29 preseason finale against the Oakland Raiders to get him ready for the opener in Buffalo.

"It took way longer than I thought," Spencer said. "But that's the thing with backs, it just takes time."

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/376174_hawk23.html
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1