SPORTS FANS UNITED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPORTS FANS UNITED

ALL SPORTS ALL THE TIME!!!! COME TALK SPORTS WITH US...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Beltran beats Ndlovu in split decision for IBO featherweight title

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Beltran beats Ndlovu in split decision for IBO featherweight title Empty
PostSubject: Beltran beats Ndlovu in split decision for IBO featherweight title   Beltran beats Ndlovu in split decision for IBO featherweight title Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 6:44 pm

Associated Press
Updated: August 23, 2008, 1:26 AM ET

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Fernando Beltran Jr. held off Takalani Ndlovu to win the vacant IBO featherweight world title in a 12-round split decision Friday night.

Beltran (31-3-1) lost his two previous title bouts, but the Mexican southpaw was able to recover this time from a lost point due to a low blow in the 10th round.

"I knew that I was up [on the judges' scorecards]," Beltran said through an interpreter. "But I was worried about that point I lost."

Two judges scored the fight 115-112 for Beltran, while the other had it 114-113 for Ndlovu.

"This is a great birthday present for me," said Beltran, who turned 26 Monday.

Ndlovu (28-5) came out in the final round and landed a right that seemed to stagger Beltran, but Beltran came back and wobbled Ndlovu with a left.

The 30-year-old Ndlovu began to develop swelling under his left eye in the later rounds after Beltran was able to score with several right jabs throughout the bout.

"I threw a cross to [Ndlovu's] stomach, but it went below the belt," Beltran said. "I didn't realize I did it."

In the co-featured fight, Harry Joe Yorgey (21-0-1) won the vacant IBF North American junior middleweight title with a 12-round majority decision over Jason LeHoullier.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3549729
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1