SPORTS FANS UNITED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPORTS FANS UNITED

ALL SPORTS ALL THE TIME!!!! COME TALK SPORTS WITH US...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Kenny Rogers placed on waivers, could be traded soon

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Kenny Rogers placed on waivers, could be traded soon Empty
PostSubject: Kenny Rogers placed on waivers, could be traded soon   Kenny Rogers placed on waivers, could be traded soon Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 5:30 pm

His experience in postseason is a plus
BY JON PAUL MOROSI • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • August 26, 2008

If a trade involving Tigers left-hander Kenny Rogers is going to happen before the end of this season, it likely will occur within the next several days.
Advertisement

The deadline to set postseason rosters is Sunday, and multiple officials from other teams believe the Tigers will consider trading Rogers before then.

Rogers said Monday that he was not aware of any trade discussions involving him. And he did not appear concerned with the prospect of being dealt.

"Dealing in hypotheticals is very difficult -- I'm not one to do that," Rogers said. "I haven't thought about a deadline. I'm not worried about one, that's for sure."

The Tigers placed Rogers -- and several other players -- on trade waivers Friday. By this afternoon, the team will know which of them cleared waivers and which were claimed.

If Rogers clears waivers, he could be traded to any team. If Rogers is claimed, the Tigers could attempt to work out a deal with the claiming club.

Rogers allowed six earned runs in Sunday's loss, but his experience -- including 23 scoreless innings in the 2006 postseason -- could make him an intriguing addition for a contender.

He has two characteristics of players often traded in late August: He is due a reasonable base salary over the remainder of this season (roughly $1.5 million), and he is unsigned after this year.

Rogers' contract includes no-trade protection to six teams, including Philadelphia and Texas. Rogers often has stated that he wants to finish his career in Detroit. Upon re-signing in November, he said, "In my heart of hearts, I had no desire to pitch anywhere else."

Yet, it does not appear Rogers has asked team officials to keep him off the trade market in all circumstances.

"I don't make their decisions for them," Rogers said Monday. "I would never try to do that. I know it's hard enough to run this club."

Rogers is 9-11 with a 5.09 ERA in 27 starts. He has allowed opposing hitters a .312 batting average since the All-Star Game, according to STATS LLC.

When asked to assess Rogers' performance the past month, manager Jim Leyland said, "At times, it's a little tough for him. At other times, everything's pretty good. But he's always been a great-conditioned athlete. ... For the most part, he's always ready to go. The good part about him is he's got a way to figure things out. He can do some other things to get a hitter out."

Notebook: The team released no information on the status of Dontrelle Willis, other than to say he left Monday's Toledo start after one inning because of tightness in his left forearm. He threw 15 pitches (12 strikes) and allowed one earned run and two hits. ...

Miguel Cabrera would need 39 RBIs in the last 31 games to tie Magglio Ordoñez's total from last year (139). "If he ever gets to the point where he takes every at-bat like it's his last at-bat, there's no telling what this guy might do," Leyland said of Cabrera. ...

Armando Galarraga allowed three earned runs in seven innings Monday. "I thought he did an excellent job," Leyland said. ...

Reliever Francis Beltran was designated for assignment to clear a roster spot for right-hander Chris Lambert, who will start tonight. Beltran went 1-0 with a 4.85 ERA in 11 appearances for Detroit this year. He was outrighted to the minors once before, so he may have the ability to elect free agency rather than return to Triple-A Toledo. “I’ve got to sit down and think about it,” he said.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080826/SPORTS02/808260384/1050
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1