SPORTS FANS UNITED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPORTS FANS UNITED

ALL SPORTS ALL THE TIME!!!! COME TALK SPORTS WITH US...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Strahan Decides to Stay a Retired Giant

Go down 
AuthorMessage
UNCLE BIGBEAR
Admin
UNCLE BIGBEAR

Strahan Decides to Stay a Retired Giant Empty
PostSubject: Strahan Decides to Stay a Retired Giant   Strahan Decides to Stay a Retired Giant Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 5:15 am

By JUDY BATTISTA

Michael Strahan, whom the Giants considered wooing out of retirement after Osi Umenyiora sustained a season-ending knee injury last Saturday night, has decided to remain retired, preferring to stay in the broadcast booth. Strahan’s decision was reported by Fox Sports, for whom Strahan will be a studio analyst.

“This has been one of the toughest nights of my life,” Strahan, the former Giants defensive end, told Fox Sports from Greece, where he was on vacation.

“But after long deliberation and throwing around a million scenarios in my head for the past day, I think it’s just best if I stay retired.”

Giants General Manager Jerry Reese called Strahan on Monday, and Strahan said that the money that was discussed would have been enough to do a deal.

Strahan, in contrast to his friend Brett Favre, the Jets’ new quarterback, said he did not want to go through the physical and mental rigors of another season. Strahan, 36, retired a few months after the Giants won the Super Bowl in February, after 15 seasons.

Favre, who changed his mind about retirement and was traded to the Jets from the Green Bay Packers this month, said this week that he thought the Giants should pursue Strahan. But Strahan had already slimmed down from his playing days and had devoted himself to preparing for his new television role.

“I really love my life now,” he told Fox Sports.

Reese said: “We knew it was a long shot, but we owed it to ourselves to exhaust the possibility. We appreciate Michael even considering ending his retirement. He has a new career in front of him, and we wish him nothing but the best. As we all said when he announced his retirement, Michael was and is a great Giant.”

Strahan’s decision sends the Giants back to Square 1. They have already moved linebacker Mathias Kiwanuka back to his natural position at defensive end to replace Umenyiora, who was put on injured reserve Tuesday. Kiwanuka will play opposite Justin Tuck, who replaced Strahan.

The Giants, whose Super Bowl victory against the Patriots revolved largely around a devastating pass rush, go into the season without the two cornerstones of the defensive line.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/27/sports/football/27strahan.html?_r=1&ref=football&oref=slogin
Back to top Go down
https://uuuu.forumotion.net
UNCLE BIGBEAR
Admin
UNCLE BIGBEAR

PostSubject: Re: Strahan Decides to Stay a Retired Giant   Strahan Decides to Stay a Retired Giant Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 5:20 am

IMO THIS IS A GOOD MOVE FOR HIM... YES HE JUST CAME OFF A SUPER BOWL SEASON BUT WHY RISK COMEING BACK AND ENDING YOUR CARRER ON A SOUR NOTE.... HE HAD A GREAT CARRER AND IS A FUTURE HALL OF FAMER....
Back to top Go down
https://uuuu.forumotion.net

PostSubject: Re: Strahan Decides to Stay a Retired Giant   Strahan Decides to Stay a Retired Giant Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 8:35 pm

I AGREE WITH THAT UNCLE BIGBEAR, IF I WERE A PLAYER I WOULD RATHER LEAVE THE GAME WHILE I COULD STILL WALK RATHER THAN BE FORCED OUT WITH A CAREER ENDING INJURY, GREAT DECISION STRAHAN.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strahan Decides to Stay a Retired Giant   Strahan Decides to Stay a Retired Giant Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1