SPORTS FANS UNITED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPORTS FANS UNITED

ALL SPORTS ALL THE TIME!!!! COME TALK SPORTS WITH US...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Holmgren's decade of excellence

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Holmgren's decade of excellence Empty
PostSubject: Holmgren's decade of excellence   Holmgren's decade of excellence Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 1:55 am

He is poised to pass the torch after final season
By CLARE FARNSWORTH
P-I REPORTER

While discussing Matt Hasselbeck's reascension to the Seahawks' starting quarterback job in 2004, Trent Dilfer made an insightful observation.

"Matt has been humbled by the game -- which is good," said Dilfer, then Hasselbeck's backup and now an NFL analyst.

The same definitely can be said for the man who brought Hasselbeck to Seattle -- Mike Holmgren. He made the trade to acquire Hasselbeck in 2001 and is now entering his 10th and final season as the Seahawks coach.

As Holmgren enters his exit season, it's difficult not to be reflective about his tenure with the team -- and what life has thrown at him during the most successful stretch in franchise history.

When Holmgren arrived in 1999, he was in the prime of what already had been a remarkable career. Mentor to a pair of Hall of Fame quarterbacks (Joe Montana and Steve Young) while an assistant coach with the San Francisco 49ers (1986-91). Reviver of one of the NFL's most fabled franchises during his first head coaching stint with the Green Bay Packers (1992-98). Possessor of the largest coaching contract in the league ($32 million over eight years) and holder of more titles than would fit on a XXL-sized business card with the Seahawks.

Not bad for a guy who had anticipated his professional life would be filled with coaching high school football and teaching U.S. history.

In the past nine years, however, a lot has changed in Holmgren's blessed life. On the field and off.

Before he coached his first regular-season game with the Seahawks, he lost longtime defensive coordinator and confidant Fritz Shurmur to cancer. He struggled through his first losing season in the NFL (6-10 in 2000). To save his job, he had to fire his entire defensive staff and relinquish his general-manager duties after the 2002 season. His senses were numbed from butting his head against the brick wall that was club president Bob Whitsitt, until Whitsitt was fired in 2005.

Off the field, there have been those life experiences that can mold a man even more than what's going on at the office.

His mother died. His wife, Kathy, had a bout with cancer. Each of their four daughters has made him a grandfather -- a brood that now includes four granddaughters and two grandsons. He has had his own health issues, including being hospitalized for chest pains a few years ago and a medical procedure this spring that he won't divulge and doesn't want to talk about. He lost more than 20 pounds this offseason at the urging of his doctor and his wife, who's a nurse. While the team has just moved into an opulent new facility in Renton, the Holmgrens have "downsized," giving up their house on Mercer Island in favor of a waterfront condo in Kirkland.

Oh, and he turned 60 in June.

"I don't think you can separate that stuff -- at least, I've never been able to," Holmgren said of his life and a job that is so much a part of that life.

"This is my job. It pays the bills. But at the same time, I've tried to balance my work with my family. So everything is kind of intermingled, but it's all part of the experience. As we get older, things happen."

But through all these changes, Holmgren really hasn't changed all that much.

"I think he likes our company even more these days, because with us he's not an icon," John Jamison, the Seahawks assistant special teams coach, said while standing inside the new indoor practice facility. "Where around here, he is."

Jamison has an insider's view of the legend because he's known Holmgren since they were in the third grade together in San Francisco. They attended Lincoln High School, where Jamison was the favorite target of the strapping quarterback who would earn a scholarship to USC. Jamison went to Cal. Both began their coaching careers in the Bay Area -- on the same staff at Sacred Heart High.

"I was a high school varsity coach before he was," Jamison said. "As funny as it sounds, I joked, 'If I hit it big, I'll take you with me.'

"Ha-ha. Here we are 100 years later, and the roles are reversed."

Holmgren is, after all, "The Big Show" -- a nickname he doesn't care for, but one that has stuck since cornerback Shawn Springs gave it to him during Holmgren's first training camp with the Seahawks.

Offered Holmgren, "I don't know how I'm perceived, but when I say I'm really one of the lucky ones, I believe that. I don't look at myself that way."

That was apparent on a recent trip for Holmgren, Jamison and their friends from high school. Holmgren cherishes these getaways because he's just one of the guys.

"I get as much grief as I give," he said. "It's refreshing. It's fun. You can kind of let your hair down a little bit."

Which becomes harder when you're as recognizable a figure as Holmgren is.

He tells a story about the one time he shaved his trademark mustache. It was on a trip to Europe with Kathy while he was coaching the Packers. Wanting to "blend in," the mustache came off; a baseball cap came on.

But while they were in the Louvre in Paris, looking at the Mona Lisa, the serenity of the moment was pierced by the Wisconsin wail of two green-and-gold-clad Packer fans, "Heeey, coach, how ya doin'?"

"That's when it registers with me," Holmgren said. "Then I look at Kathy, and she just shakes her head.

"But on a day-to-day basis, like when I'm out walking my dog, I'm just another guy."

This isn't just another season, however. But anyone who thinks things will be different just because this is Holmgren's final fling has not been paying attention.

Mail it in? Holmgren cancels that delivery with a quick gaze that could melt the face mask of the toughest player on the team.

Soften his ways? Please.

"That's more a media, fan-oriented thing," defensive coordinator John Marshall said. "Mike is a football coach, and he knows he's got responsibilities to his coaches, to his players, to the fans, to his family.

"Mike is not made of that fiber. He would never do that. He's going to try and make this his best year of coaching, and he's indicated that to us."

Those players to whom Holmgren has a responsibility are trying not to get caught up in the win-a-lot-more-than-one-for-the-Gipper sentimentality.

"I don't want to offend him, but it's business as usual," Hasselbeck said. "I owe him a great deal, no doubt about that. But my focus is on trying to win our division for the fifth straight time, trying to get into the playoffs, trying to have home-field advantage, trying to get our team back to the Super Bowl."

No offense taken, because those are Holmgren's goals, too, the topics he would rather talk about.

"Those are the things that motivate me," he said. "Those are the things that make me tick."

But it's difficult to stick completely to football as usual, because Holmgren means so much to this team, to these players, to this sport.

"It's like he's enjoying it. He's soaking it up," linebacker Julian Peterson said. "He knows it's coming to an end. I know he enjoys coaching, and I know he really enjoys our team. But we also know we have a small window of opportunity, and we can't waste that."

There is a strange still-to-be-sung chorus to this swan song because the club already has named secondary coach Jim Mora Holmgren's successor. Holmgren endorsed the decision, but was caught off guard when the club went public with the move -- one that had been anticipated since Mora was hired in January 2007.

Mora is doing his part not only to make the transition a smooth one, but also not to be guilty of false-start penalties. "Whether you're going to be the head coach or not, you're continually watching a guy like Mike Holmgren and learning," Mora said. "I mean, he's a case study for what a great coach is. So it's just a great opportunity for all of us to learn."

Many expected the handoff to be made this offseason, because Holmgren was acting like someone who was through with at least this chapter of his coaching life. Kathy Holmgren thought that was the case and wanted it to be because she worries about what the stress of the job is doing to her husband's health.

But when they went away for their annual postseason retreat to discuss Mike's future, he persuaded her to give him one more season in Seattle -- with the double-edged stipulation that this was to be it and that he would take at least an entire year off before diving back into whatever his future holds.

"Even when we were young, we both saw the 'big picture.' We weren't just 'jocks,' " Jamison said. "We still trade good books and talk about the issues of the day. I think Mike will do fine without football."

Don't be so sure. Holmgren gets the football equivalent of bitter-beer face when the word retirement is mentioned in the same sentence with his name. There will be other opportunities when Holmgren chooses to exercise them. Definitely in his hometown of San Francisco with the 49ers. Possibly with the Dallas Cowboys, whose owner, Jerry Jones, respects -- and has the respect of -- Holmgren.

"There's all this talk about 'moving on,' 'leaving,' 'retiring,' 'going on sabbatical,' " he said. Smiling after that last one, he added, "Get that in there."

Consider it done, even through Holmgren is not.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/377492_holmgren04.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Holmgren's decade of excellence   Holmgren's decade of excellence Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 1:58 am

TGHAWKSFAN#1 wrote:
He is poised to pass the torch after final season
By CLARE FARNSWORTH
P-I REPORTER

While discussing Matt Hasselbeck's reascension to the Seahawks' starting quarterback job in 2004, Trent Dilfer made an insightful observation.

"Matt has been humbled by the game -- which is good," said Dilfer, then Hasselbeck's backup and now an NFL analyst.

The same definitely can be said for the man who brought Hasselbeck to Seattle -- Mike Holmgren. He made the trade to acquire Hasselbeck in 2001 and is now entering his 10th and final season as the Seahawks coach.

As Holmgren enters his exit season, it's difficult not to be reflective about his tenure with the team -- and what life has thrown at him during the most successful stretch in franchise history.

When Holmgren arrived in 1999, he was in the prime of what already had been a remarkable career. Mentor to a pair of Hall of Fame quarterbacks (Joe Montana and Steve Young) while an assistant coach with the San Francisco 49ers (1986-91). Reviver of one of the NFL's most fabled franchises during his first head coaching stint with the Green Bay Packers (1992-98). Possessor of the largest coaching contract in the league ($32 million over eight years) and holder of more titles than would fit on a XXL-sized business card with the Seahawks.

Not bad for a guy who had anticipated his professional life would be filled with coaching high school football and teaching U.S. history.

In the past nine years, however, a lot has changed in Holmgren's blessed life. On the field and off.

Before he coached his first regular-season game with the Seahawks, he lost longtime defensive coordinator and confidant Fritz Shurmur to cancer. He struggled through his first losing season in the NFL (6-10 in 2000). To save his job, he had to fire his entire defensive staff and relinquish his general-manager duties after the 2002 season. His senses were numbed from butting his head against the brick wall that was club president Bob Whitsitt, until Whitsitt was fired in 2005.

Off the field, there have been those life experiences that can mold a man even more than what's going on at the office.

His mother died. His wife, Kathy, had a bout with cancer. Each of their four daughters has made him a grandfather -- a brood that now includes four granddaughters and two grandsons. He has had his own health issues, including being hospitalized for chest pains a few years ago and a medical procedure this spring that he won't divulge and doesn't want to talk about. He lost more than 20 pounds this offseason at the urging of his doctor and his wife, who's a nurse. While the team has just moved into an opulent new facility in Renton, the Holmgrens have "downsized," giving up their house on Mercer Island in favor of a waterfront condo in Kirkland.

Oh, and he turned 60 in June.

"I don't think you can separate that stuff -- at least, I've never been able to," Holmgren said of his life and a job that is so much a part of that life.

"This is my job. It pays the bills. But at the same time, I've tried to balance my work with my family. So everything is kind of intermingled, but it's all part of the experience. As we get older, things happen."

But through all these changes, Holmgren really hasn't changed all that much.

"I think he likes our company even more these days, because with us he's not an icon," John Jamison, the Seahawks assistant special teams coach, said while standing inside the new indoor practice facility. "Where around here, he is."

Jamison has an insider's view of the legend because he's known Holmgren since they were in the third grade together in San Francisco. They attended Lincoln High School, where Jamison was the favorite target of the strapping quarterback who would earn a scholarship to USC. Jamison went to Cal. Both began their coaching careers in the Bay Area -- on the same staff at Sacred Heart High.

"I was a high school varsity coach before he was," Jamison said. "As funny as it sounds, I joked, 'If I hit it big, I'll take you with me.'

"Ha-ha. Here we are 100 years later, and the roles are reversed."

Holmgren is, after all, "The Big Show" -- a nickname he doesn't care for, but one that has stuck since cornerback Shawn Springs gave it to him during Holmgren's first training camp with the Seahawks.

Offered Holmgren, "I don't know how I'm perceived, but when I say I'm really one of the lucky ones, I believe that. I don't look at myself that way."

That was apparent on a recent trip for Holmgren, Jamison and their friends from high school. Holmgren cherishes these getaways because he's just one of the guys.

"I get as much grief as I give," he said. "It's refreshing. It's fun. You can kind of let your hair down a little bit."

Which becomes harder when you're as recognizable a figure as Holmgren is.

He tells a story about the one time he shaved his trademark mustache. It was on a trip to Europe with Kathy while he was coaching the Packers. Wanting to "blend in," the mustache came off; a baseball cap came on.

But while they were in the Louvre in Paris, looking at the Mona Lisa, the serenity of the moment was pierced by the Wisconsin wail of two green-and-gold-clad Packer fans, "Heeey, coach, how ya doin'?"

"That's when it registers with me," Holmgren said. "Then I look at Kathy, and she just shakes her head.

"But on a day-to-day basis, like when I'm out walking my dog, I'm just another guy."

This isn't just another season, however. But anyone who thinks things will be different just because this is Holmgren's final fling has not been paying attention.

Mail it in? Holmgren cancels that delivery with a quick gaze that could melt the face mask of the toughest player on the team.

Soften his ways? Please.

"That's more a media, fan-oriented thing," defensive coordinator John Marshall said. "Mike is a football coach, and he knows he's got responsibilities to his coaches, to his players, to the fans, to his family.

"Mike is not made of that fiber. He would never do that. He's going to try and make this his best year of coaching, and he's indicated that to us."

Those players to whom Holmgren has a responsibility are trying not to get caught up in the win-a-lot-more-than-one-for-the-Gipper sentimentality.

"I don't want to offend him, but it's business as usual," Hasselbeck said. "I owe him a great deal, no doubt about that. But my focus is on trying to win our division for the fifth straight time, trying to get into the playoffs, trying to have home-field advantage, trying to get our team back to the Super Bowl."

No offense taken, because those are Holmgren's goals, too, the topics he would rather talk about.

"Those are the things that motivate me," he said. "Those are the things that make me tick."

But it's difficult to stick completely to football as usual, because Holmgren means so much to this team, to these players, to this sport.

"It's like he's enjoying it. He's soaking it up," linebacker Julian Peterson said. "He knows it's coming to an end. I know he enjoys coaching, and I know he really enjoys our team. But we also know we have a small window of opportunity, and we can't waste that."

There is a strange still-to-be-sung chorus to this swan song because the club already has named secondary coach Jim Mora Holmgren's successor. Holmgren endorsed the decision, but was caught off guard when the club went public with the move -- one that had been anticipated since Mora was hired in January 2007.

Mora is doing his part not only to make the transition a smooth one, but also not to be guilty of false-start penalties. "Whether you're going to be the head coach or not, you're continually watching a guy like Mike Holmgren and learning," Mora said. "I mean, he's a case study for what a great coach is. So it's just a great opportunity for all of us to learn."

Many expected the handoff to be made this offseason, because Holmgren was acting like someone who was through with at least this chapter of his coaching life. Kathy Holmgren thought that was the case and wanted it to be because she worries about what the stress of the job is doing to her husband's health.

But when they went away for their annual postseason retreat to discuss Mike's future, he persuaded her to give him one more season in Seattle -- with the double-edged stipulation that this was to be it and that he would take at least an entire year off before diving back into whatever his future holds.

"Even when we were young, we both saw the 'big picture.' We weren't just 'jocks,' " Jamison said. "We still trade good books and talk about the issues of the day. I think Mike will do fine without football."

Don't be so sure. Holmgren gets the football equivalent of bitter-beer face when the word retirement is mentioned in the same sentence with his name. There will be other opportunities when Holmgren chooses to exercise them. Definitely in his hometown of San Francisco with the 49ers. Possibly with the Dallas Cowboys, whose owner, Jerry Jones, respects -- and has the respect of -- Holmgren.

"There's all this talk about 'moving on,' 'leaving,' 'retiring,' 'going on sabbatical,' " he said. Smiling after that last one, he added, "Get that in there."

Consider it done, even through Holmgren is not.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/377492_holmgren04.html

I HAVE TO SAY THAT LATELY I HAVEN'T REALLY THOUGHT ABOUT IT THAT MUCH THIS OFF-SEASON BUT NOW WITH THE SEASON APPROACHING FAST, I HAVE TO SAY THAT I AM GOING TO MISS MIKE HOLMGREN AS OUR HEAD COACH. FOR ALL THE CRITICISMS THAT HE HAS FACED IN HIS 10 YEAR CAREER IN SEATTLE, HE HAS BROUGHT THE RIGHT ATTITUDE TO THE HAWKS AND HE WILL BE MISSED.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Holmgren's decade of excellence   Holmgren's decade of excellence Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 2:00 am

For Holmgren, life is a home game
By JIM MOORE
P-I COLUMNIST

Two are stay-at-home moms on the Eastside, and one is a lawyer on leave from the King County Prosecutor's Office because she just had a baby. The fourth sister is a doctor who tends to sick pregnant women in Salt Lake City, and she's a mom, too. They're all talkative blondes.

These are Mike Holmgren's daughters. They have given him six grandchildren. They have given him joy. They have given him advice. And still do.

"We got after him a couple years ago because we thought he was getting a little bit predictable (with his play-calling)," said Calla Holmgren, the Salt Lake City obstetrician and gynecologist. "We were like, you know, there are only so many times you can run a draw."

After another game, Calla told her dad: "It would be great if Matt (Hasselbeck) audibled to a pass. Do you have any pass audibles?"

"Yeah," her dad said.

"Really?" Calla said. "It always looks like he audibles to a run."

One more thing, Coach -- if you don't sign Bobby Engram to an extension, she might have to root for another team.

"He's my favorite player," Calla told him. "You better figure that one out."

For their entire lives, they've been watching their dad coach football, bouncing from the Bay Area to Provo, Utah, then back to San Francisco with subsequent stops in Green Bay and Seattle.

I have not met them in person, but they sounded like a whole lot of fun on the phone. Calla and Jenny are 34-year-old identical twins. Calla has the oldest grandchild, Emma, 8; and Jenny has two daughters, Emerson, 6, and Isabell, 2.

Emily, 31, the other stay-at-home mom, has two kids: Mary, 4, and Luke, 5 months. Gretchen, 27, the on-leave lawyer, added the sixth grandchild when she gave birth to Michael a month ago.

Holmgren was the only male in the family for more than 37 years, with four daughters and four granddaughters arriving before Luke did in April. Emily scheduled a C-section for 7:30 in the morning, and Holmgren was there, anxious to hold his first grandson.

Then came Michael, who was 9 pounds, 6 ounces when he was born.

"My dad was the only one who made him look like a small baby when he held him," said Gretchen, who is married to Matt Peterson, the University of Washington's program coordinator for football recruiting. "It was very important for us to name our son after him, because everyone had made such a big deal about him having four daughters."

That intense grizzly bear of a man you see on the sidelines melts around his grandkids. He reads to Mary, and after Luke was born, Holmgren and his wife, Kathy, took Mary on weekend outings to give Emily and her husband a break.

One time when his wife and daughters went out for lunch, Holmgren volunteered to baby-sit three of the granddaughters. Jenny expected a phone call that never came -- when the women returned, there were no signs of chaos. Holmgren and the kids were all quietly reading.

"He had a very close relationship with his own grandparents," Kathy said. "He lived with them when he was little. He knows how important the bond is."
'He's a good listener'

On TV, you'll see Holmgren swearing and appearing to have a terrible temper. You'll hear him called "The Big Show" and expect an ego to match his size. At home, the spotlight's on everyone else. He's quiet and rarely gets mad. Emily said he's a softie.

If he wants to get a word in, he can't. Surrounded by females for nearly four decades, Holmgren is outnumbered 5-to-1.

"They're all very chatty," his wife said of their daughters.

On top of that, "he's got a wife who talks nonstop," Gretchen said.

Holmgren is the typical guy, taking it all in and none of it in at the same time.

"He's a good listener," Kathy said. "What I've learned over the years, even if he's not listening, he pretends to listen."

As parents, he and Kathy were a team.

"We learned very early that we'd never be able to play on
Added Emily, "We always knew if one said no, they both said no."

They also knew to never cross their mom -- that's the one thing that really upset their dad. Because of his coaching responsibilities, Holmgren couldn't be at home as often as many fathers. He made it to some of Jenny and Calla's field-hockey games and missed others. They understood.

"You hear about kids being terrible and having a tough time because the dad was never home ... I don't buy that," Calla said. "My dad worked really hard. He always made a very concerted effort to be there when we needed him."

That hasn't changed. Calla recently told him that her landscapers were driving her crazy.

"You want me to call them and take care of it?" he asked.
A city kid at heart

Trying to produce a Super Bowl champion during his final year as the Seahawks' coach, Holmgren is a busy man. But when his daughters call, he always has time for them.

When they were growing up, Thursday nights were family nights and everyone had to be home. Valuing their own time together, the Holmgrens did not vacation with other families.

"They were strict about family time," Emily said. "It was sacred time almost."

When the girls were little, the Holmgrens went on camping trips in a Volkswagen van that was straight out of the movie "Little Miss Sunshine." Jenny joked that it was held together by duct tape, but it meant a lot to Holmgren.

"He was so sad when he had to get rid of that car," Emily said.

They drove to Banff, Alberta, and frequently went to D.L. Bliss State Park at Lake Tahoe, Calif. They pitched tents and hung out with Mother Nature, which is funny when Jenny thinks about it now.

"In Green Bay, people thought he looked like an outdoors guy because he was tall and big and had a moustache," she said. "But he's not. He's a city kid."

Jenny said Holmgren caught the first fish of his life last year. Not a salmon in Alaska, not a marlin in Mexico. Somewhere in the Seattle area, Holmgren took Jenny's daughter Emerson to a fish farm and reeled one in. Then he didn't know what to do with it.

Another man asked him, "Are you going to take the fish off the hook?"

To which Holmgren replied, "You wanna do it?"

All of the daughters recalled special times with their dad. Gretchen was a big Indiana Pacers fan when the Holmgrens lived in Green Bay. During her sophomore year in high school, her dad took her to Indianapolis for a Pacers game. While they were there, they went to Nordstrom, and he bought her a prom dress.

"Woman after woman would go by him outside the dressing room and ask, 'How do we get our husbands to do this?' " Gretchen said.

Nuts about football

For the past nine years, Holmgren and three of his daughters have shared many fall Sundays in Seattle. Jenny and Emily watch their dad's team from a suite at Qwest Field while Calla watches by satellite from Utah. Gretchen is on the sideline taking pictures. Kathy goes, too, but gets so nervous that she can't stay, choosing to walk through Pioneer Square or take a ferry ride until the game ends.

They're football nuts. Gretchen is the most knowledgeable. "She's like Dad in a female form," Calla said. Every year she'll map out various playoff scenarios on spreadsheets. Of the four, she gets the most upset after defeats.

Emily misses many plays because she's concerned about how they'll turn out. Her husband has to tell her what happened. She'll get so worked up for playoff games that she'll sleep through them.

"That's how my body reacts (to stress)," Emily said. "I'd rather tune it out and just wait for the end result."

Emily is the one who worries most about how her dad is doing after a loss. She'll call him at work and leave a philosophical message for him. To avoid possible criticism of her dad, she doesn't listen to sports radio or read newspapers.

"He's got really thick skin, but I don't," Emily said. "At Green Bay, they'd shout things at my dad. I'd retreat or get furious. A side of me comes out that's not very nice. It's not going to hurt his feelings, but it's my dad."

When Calla watches games, she yells at her TV. "My daughter calls me the angry blonde woman," she said.

Calla and Gretchen get so worked up that they can't watch a game together. "They will do each other bodily harm," Jenny said.

Calla's sisters know better than to pick up the phone when she calls during a game. She'll be angry about something.

After the preseason game against the Bears, Jenny talked with Calla and told her she thought quarterback Charlie Frye played well.

"After he threw three interceptions?" Calla said. "Really? Three interceptions is a lot."

Jenny doesn't think it helps to yell. "I try to be more pragmatic," she said. "There are certain things you can control. Watching a football game, you have no control."

Jenny and Calla are twins whose thoughts about the Super Bowl loss to the Pitts-

burgh Steelers are identical, too.

"What can you do about referees?" Jenny said. "You can't get mad about it. It doesn't change it."

That's where the pragmatism ended.

"I've been to a lot of football games and obviously I'm not completely without bias, but I've never seen a major sporting event with that kind of refereeing," Jenny said. "You just want it to be consistent for both sides, and I thought it was inconsistent."

Calla still has not seen the game. She was in the Congo with her mom on a relief mission when the Super Bowl was played. She got news of the outcome from Jenny.

"She just said the refs were horrible and Jerramy Stevens didn't play very well," Calla said. "She told me, 'Don't watch the game,' so I won't."

You think officials bother Holmgren from time to time? You should hear Calla. She has no use for most of them.

"Even Ed Hochuli, who's good-looking," she said. "I think they're incompetent."
Not the retiring type

It will be strange next year when Calla will have no reason to yell at anyone anymore. Kathy can't imagine a fall without football, and neither can her daughters. But they're glad it's coming.

As much as he loves football, their dad is a well-rounded man with many interests. He wants to golf and play his guitar and ride his Harley and spend more time with his grandkids. He's never been on a cruise before, so he'll take one to Alaska. He plans to drive across Canada and will probably sing along to music on the radio. Holmgren has a strong baritone voice -- he sang at the baptisms of Emily's children, Mary and Luke.

He'll take more walks with his 11-year-old bulldog, Maxine, and read more books. Holmgren enjoys crime novels and thrillers by Michael Connelly and Stuart Woods. "He and Mom will talk about characters like they're real," Jenny said.

He'll watch more "Jeopardy." It's his favorite show. His best categories are movies and pop culture. You can't call when "Jeopardy" is on because Holmgren and his wife won't answer the phone.

And he'll lose more weight. Since starting with Jenny Craig in March, Holmgren has dropped 31 pounds. He won't say what his goal is, but it sounds as if you won't recognize him if he reaches it.

"This lady (at Jenny Craig) was telling him what his ideal weight should be, and it was

a ridiculous number," Jenny said.

"I don't think that's right," Holmgren told the lady.

"Don't worry, Coach, we'll get you there," she said.

He replied, "I haven't weighed that since sixth grade."

In a recent interview, Holmgren said, "It's hard, because I like to eat, and I like cold beer."

But Emily said: "He's been so disciplined. He looks great. He's kind of swimming in his clothes now."

Added Calla, "He looks like a shrunken man."

After the season ends, Holmgren and his wife will spend the rest of the winter at their home in Phoenix. Los Angeles Angels owner Arturo Moreno is his next-door neighbor, and former Chicago Cubs second baseman Ryne Sandberg lives across the street.

The Holmgrens are building a home near Santa Cruz, Calif., where they will live during the summertime. When next fall rolls around, they plan to return to their waterfront condo in Kirkland.

Asked if he would go to Seahawks games, Holmgren said: "I don't know. That might be a little hard on me." He figures he's more apt to watch the games on TV "and root for the guys."

The unknowns of retirement are appealing to him. "I am open to learn stuff about myself," he said. But his daughters already know their dad. They don't think he can be idle for long. Kathy knows he can't.

For three of the five weeks that Holmgren was off this summer, he wasn't sure what to do with himself.

"He went into the office when he didn't have to," Kathy said.

Said Jenny, "He'll need to be productive doing something."

Maybe he'll become a coach or general manager somewhere else. Maybe he'll get into broadcasting and become the next John Madden. Or maybe he'll find a new hobby or a bookstore to run.

"In my mind, I'm not retiring for good," said Holmgren, 60.

He has committed to taking a full year off, but at least one gambling Web site is skeptical. At Bodoglife.com, you can bet on what Holmgren will be doing during the first week of the 2009 season, listing NFL GM as a slight favorite at 5-2 over Out of Football (3-1), Media (11-4), NFL coach/GM (11-4) and NFL coach (4-1).

"I think he thinks Bill Parcells has a pretty good setup in Miami," Gretchen said.

Whatever happens, his daughters will support him. They welcomed the opportunity to reveal the Mike Holmgren they know, the one who's dad to them, not some big-time football coach.

Emily laughed when she talked about her dad playing in a celebrity golf tournament. He told her about some of the stars who were there, and she asked him, "Who's the celebrity in your foursome?"

"It's me," Holmgren told her.

"It's hard for me to think of him that way," Emily said.

His kids see him as a man who face-paints with their kids and makes everyone feel special.

"He really is a wonderful person," Emily said.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/377470_moore04.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Holmgren's decade of excellence   Holmgren's decade of excellence Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 7:13 am

Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren does it his way

Holmgren changed the Seahawks. Everything from the playbook to the laundry procedures. But he changed, too. He became a grandfather here in Seattle, and he lost his mother. He suffered what remains the only professional setback of his football career when he lost his general manager's responsibilities in 2002, and stood at the brink of an unprecedented accomplishment when he took Seattle to the Super Bowl in 2006 and nearly became the first coach to win that game for two different franchises. And now, he stands at the precipice of one final season in Seattle. A last chance of sorts, and when he decided in January that he would be come back, one final opportunity to win that Super Bowl he was brought here for.

By Danny O'Neil

Seattle Times staff reporter

PREV 1 of 3 NEXT

Mike Holmgren is too busy trying to win a Super Bowl in Seattle to spend time reflecting on his tenure here. Said Holmgren: "I am going to enjoy this year. I really am. ... And at the end, I'll reflect on how I've changed."
Enlarge this photo

JOHN LOK / THE SEATTLE TIMES

Mike Holmgren is too busy trying to win a Super Bowl in Seattle to spend time reflecting on his tenure here. Said Holmgren: "I am going to enjoy this year. I really am. ... And at the end, I'll reflect on how I've changed."

Mike Holmgren barks instructions during last week's game against Oakland. "He's a very reasonable man," LB Lofa Tatupu said. "Just do what's asked of you. That's all he asks."
Enlarge this photo

ROD MAR / THE SEATTLE TIMES

Mike Holmgren barks instructions during last week's game against Oakland. "He's a very reasonable man," LB Lofa Tatupu said. "Just do what's asked of you. That's all he asks."

Tim Ruskell, the team's GM since 2005, has teamed well with Holmgren. Ruskell focused on improving the defense.
Enlarge this photo

STEVE RINGMAN / THE SEATTLE TIMES

Tim Ruskell, the team's GM since 2005, has teamed well with Holmgren. Ruskell focused on improving the defense.

Related

* Jerry Brewer | Mike Holmgren taught Seahawks how to win
* Matt Hasselbeck, Mike Holmgren: Like a father and son
* NFL's 20 greatest coaches
* NFL Quarterback-coach Combo | Staying together
* Timeline | Mike Holgren in Seattle
* Mike Holmgren's Stats | Team rushing, passing, scoring and defense (PDF)

The end of an icon began on a January afternoon when a coach fresh off a few days in the Arizona sun sat behind a table to tell the city he would return for one more season.

Even as Mike Holmgren announced his encore as Seahawks coach, he relied on his rearview mirror to explain the road ahead.

"We're going to work very, very hard to finish the job that I hoped to do when I first came," Holmgren said.

The Super Bowl. It has cast a shadow over Holmgren's time in Seattle since he was hired a decade ago by the NFL's richest owner to perform a rebuilding job that entailed much more than just overhauling the roster.

Holmgren arrived in 1999 with a Super Bowl ring and a 24-carat resume. He was the man who had gone from a high-school history teacher to instructing Joe Montana, Steve Young and Brett Favre. The coach who had resuscitated the Packers, restoring Green Bay's status as Titletown.

And when Paul Allen hired Holmgren as executive vice president, general manager and head coach, he set about remaking the franchise with a heavy hand and at times a hot temper. He changed this team right from the very first game, a 28-20 loss to the Detroit Lions. After the game, a bird came running out onto the field. Or at least it was a man dressed up as a bird, who was using some bazooka-like device to launch T-shirts into the crowd at the Kingdome.

Now what in the world was that, Holmgren asked?

Blitz, the team's humanized bird mascot.

Holmgren's next words can't be repeated verbatim. Too much time has passed and there have been too many retellings to reproduce his words exactly. Besides, there were certainly a few adjectives too spicy to be printed when Holmgren declared that his this team was not in the business of selling used cars, but rather playing football.

Many things have happened in nine years since that first game. The Seahawks won four consecutive division titles, played in their first Super Bowl and won more playoff games the past three years than in their first 29 seasons combined.

But one thing has never happened since Holmgren's first game. Blitz has never run onto the field afterward to launch T-shirts.

It was one of the first footprints Holmgren left as he took a franchise known for mediocrity and made it meaningful. He arrived with the credibility that only a Super Bowl ring can bring, took a team that had not won a playoff game in 15 years and coached it to the sport's biggest stage.

advertising

"He showed us how to win," left tackle Walter Jones said. "Just brought his winning ways to Seattle, and I think that's what we needed."

Holmgren changed the Seahawks. Everything from the playbook to the laundry procedures.

But he changed, too. He became a grandfather here in Seattle, and he lost his mother. He suffered what remains the only professional setback of his football career when he lost his general manager's responsibilities in 2002, and stood at the brink of an unprecedented accomplishment when he took Seattle to the Super Bowl in 2006 and nearly became the first coach to win that game for two different franchises.

And now, he stands at the precipice of one final season in Seattle. A last chance of sorts, and when he decided in January that he would come back, one final opportunity to win that Super Bowl he was brought here for.

Protocol for success

Every news conference begins the same way.

Holmgren takes out a cough drop, unwraps it, places the wrapper flat on the table and the cough drop carefully on top of that wrapper. Ricola ready, he takes a bottle of water, unscrews the cap and places it on the table. Only then is he ready for questions.

He is an exacting coach. One who follows protocol precisely and expects others to do the same. No, wait. Actually, he doesn't expect that so much as he demands it.

"He's a very reasonable man," linebacker Lofa Tatupu said. "Just do what's asked of you. That's all he asks."

Tatupu remembers a time in his rookie season when a receiver lined up 6 yards off the tackle instead of 3 yards as the play called for. The play didn't work, and Holmgren stopped for a geometry lesson delivered in very visceral terms, explaining that the split was 3 yards. At 6 yards, the play was doomed.

"We ran the play again at 3 yards," Tatupu said. "The pass hit him in stride perfect."

Holmgren's offense is difficult, but it is not complicated. Not in the sense of intricate routes, pump fakes or misdirection. It demands that a player recognize the defensive strategy employed by the opponent and react precisely as the playbook tells him to.

A player must follow directions. That's all.

"If we do well, if we do what he expects, he's in a good mood," quarterback Matt Hasselbeck said. "When you don't, he's a lot less friendly."

There is one way with Holmgren's team: his. That goes everywhere from the playbook all the way down to the way they do laundry.

When Holmgren arrived, each player put his dirty practice clothes into a mesh bag. T-shirts, shorts, sweatpants, they all went in there. The bag was washed, then dried and finally hung back in the player's locker, clean but wrinkled.

No good, Holmgren said. He wanted the shirts hung up so they didn't end up looking like they were balled up at the bottom of a hamper. Shorts, too. The equipment manager said he'd need more employees. Fine, said Holmgren, and so now the Seahawks have their names and numbers on every pair of shorts, each T-shirt and all the other dri-fit garb they wear for practice. Those clothes get washed individually and then the men who do the laundry hang each piece on its own hanger in the player's locker.

It's part of the Seahawks protocol, something followed as rigidly and precisely as the news-conference preparation when the coach readies his Ricola and opens his water.

The encore

Seahawks Way. For nine seasons, Holmgren tried to define what that meant for this franchise.

Now it is an actual address: 12 Seahawks Way, site of a lakeside headquarters.

The team that seemed stuck in the middle of the standings has taken up residence in the penthouse of the NFC West and went from a cramped headquarters up on a hill tucked above a suburban university to a state-of-the-art facility with its own boating dock.

But this is no longer Holmgren's franchise. At least not in the same way it was when he was hired. He relinquished his general manager responsibilities after the 2002 season, which remains the only professional demotion he has experienced.

He argued against it. He pointed out the rash of injuries the Seahawks experienced that season, pointed to the three-game winning streak that concluded the season as proof that even in the midst of a doomed season the team hadn't quit on him. In fact, it had rallied.

But for all the arguments, Holmgren couldn't keep hold of both jobs. He lost final say on personnel, one of the very reasons he came to Seattle, leaving a championship-caliber team in Green Bay.

Tim Ruskell was hired to be the Seahawks' president. They have been an effective partnership, Holmgren with his knowledge of the offense and Ruskell with his knack for assembling a potent defense.

But Holmgren still has that itch to pick the personnel, something he understands won't happen in Seattle. That desire to do the general manager's job is now seasoned with a bit of self-awareness. He joked in January that his wife Kathy has told him he "might not be right" about his desire to pick the personnel once again.

Has he changed?

"Hopefully I've gotten a little wiser, a little more mature about things," Holmgren said. "I think I delegate better than I used to. I'm spending a little more time with players individually, which I like. I think we all change."

In 2001, Holmgren gave the team a vacation on its bye week. The Seahawks had won two consecutive games, and looked to be gaining momentum, but after that week off, the team lost 38-31 to Denver. Holmgren let loose in the locker room afterward, saying in no uncertain terms that he felt betrayed.

He was just as ornery in 2006 when the Seahawks went to San Francisco and turned in another stinker of a game, ending their string of 10 consecutive victories within the division. The doors to the locker room closed before the assistant coaches from the press box were inside. So the group of coaches, including both coordinators, waited outside while Holmgren lit into his team.

The next day he apologized to his players, saying he wouldn't talk to them that way again. He also told reporters about his apology.

A mellowed Mike? Maybe. Or perhaps the team has just gotten better at meeting the man's expectations.

"I don't think he has changed much," Hasselbeck said. "People say, 'Remember how Mike used to be?' I think he's the same, we just weren't hitting the bar. He sets the standard high and we weren't there."

The team has a new identity now. One forged through a few years of fire and brimstone as a franchise gradually placed its faith in the coach who arrived wearing a Super Bowl ring on that iron fist.

"I knew it was just going to be the best for us," Jones said. "He'd show us the right way, and everything he has said has almost happened."

Almost. Just one unfulfilled objective remains, and Holmgren has one last chance to win a Super Bowl for Seattle that would make coaching history.

Maybe when it's over, after this season when Holmgren is in Arizona on his motorcycle or in Hawaii on a beach, he will think about his evolution over this past decade. But for now there's just one thing, and that's achieving the goal that hasn't changed one bit since the day he arrived.

"I am going to enjoy this year," Holmgren said. "I really am. I like our team. I like how they're preparing and I like my coaches and then I'm focused on what I do all the time.

"And at the end, I'll reflect on how I've changed."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2008156676_nflholmgren04.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Holmgren's decade of excellence   Holmgren's decade of excellence Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SPORTS FANS UNITED :: NFC WEST :: Seahawks-
Jump to: