SPORTS FANS UNITED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPORTS FANS UNITED

ALL SPORTS ALL THE TIME!!!! COME TALK SPORTS WITH US...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jeter Ties Gehrig For Yankee Stadium Hits

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Jeter Ties Gehrig For Yankee Stadium Hits Empty
PostSubject: Jeter Ties Gehrig For Yankee Stadium Hits   Jeter Ties Gehrig For Yankee Stadium Hits Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 7:14 pm

September 15
New York Post

"Derek Jeter didn't just jump into the Yankees record book yesterday, he did it in dramatic fashion.

The Yankees captain tied Lou Gehrig for the most hits all-time at Yankee Stadium, with his third hit of the day - and 1,269th at the House that Ruth Built - a home run over the right field wall to lead off the fifth inning of the Bombers' 8-4 victory over the Rays.

"Jeter is chasing the ghost, and he's chasing it very well," Tampa Bay manager Joe Maddon said. "I'm happy that I don't have to see him again this year."

The home run was part of Jeter's third straight three-hit game and the highlight of the Yankees' second straight victory over the AL East-leading Rays.

Jeter singled and doubled in his first two at-bats, then delivered his celebratory blast in the fifth off Rays phenom David Price, making his major league debut. The historic homer came on a 2-2 slider that was the ninth pitch of Jeter's at-bat. Afterward, Jeter came out for a curtain call and doffed his helmet to the Bronx faithful, who cheered his accomplishment.

"I've been fortunate to play my whole career here," Jeter said, "and they've pretty much seen me grow up."

Jeter had a chance to pass Gehrig when he got his next turn in the seventh inning. But with the fans chanting "Der-ek Je-ter," he mustered a slightly disappointing double-play grounder to third.

Not that it's really a big deal. Jeter has nine hits in his last three games and needs just one over the Yankees' final seven home games before the Stadium closes.

"I think people thought it would be close to see if he got it, but he's just blown by it," Jason Giambi said. "That's Jeter for you. He seems to always rise to the occasion."

Jeter took the record-tying homer in stride.

"They always say records are made to be broken," he said, "but with the stadium closing in a week, at least I know I'm tied for it."

Despite Jeter's heroics and the Yankees' victory, there were still dark clouds yesterday. The Red Sox won, dropping the Yankees' magic number for playoff elimination to five. Not only that, but Carl Pavano left with another injury - What a shocker! - and Robinson Cano left the game for different reasons. "

CLICK HERE TO READ THE REST OF THE STORY:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09152008/sports/yankees/solo_hr_knots_gehrig_for_stadium_hits_in_129114.htm
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1