SPORTS FANS UNITED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPORTS FANS UNITED

ALL SPORTS ALL THE TIME!!!! COME TALK SPORTS WITH US...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Seahawks Offense | Uncertainty clouds receiver spot

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Seahawks Offense | Uncertainty clouds receiver spot Empty
PostSubject: Seahawks Offense | Uncertainty clouds receiver spot   Seahawks Offense | Uncertainty clouds receiver spot Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 7:08 am

The Seahawks moved Seneca Wallace to wide receiver because of the number of injuries that have ravaged that position only to have their...
By Danny O'Neil
Seattle Times staff reporter

RENTON — The Seahawks moved Seneca Wallace to wide receiver because of the number of injuries that have ravaged that position only to have their backup quarterback injure his calf while warming up before the game.

"It felt like somebody shot me from out of the stands," Wallace said. "I got shot in the calf. I felt a big pop in my calf muscle."

Trainers said it wasn't a complete tear of the muscle, but it is a strain serious enough that Wallace was on crutches Monday and in a walking boot. Coach Mike Holmgren said he expects Wallace to be out three to four weeks.

It was one of two injuries the Seahawks suffered at the position. Logan Payne, who started at split end, suffered a torn medial-collateral ligament (MCL) in his right knee. He will be placed on injured reserve and is out for the season.

Wallace, the team's backup quarterback the past three seasons, was going to play as both split end and flanker for the Seahawks against the 49ers.

"Maybe the correct thing to say is that I wasn't physically ... ready to be playing wide receiver," Wallace said.

A tight hamstring limited him in practice on Wednesday, but there was nothing wrong with his calf before the game.

"Maybe I added a little bit more pressure to myself because I wanted to perform and help the team out," Wallace said.

Wallace's injury leaves the Seahawks with Charlie Frye as the backup quarterback. Brian Russell — who played quarterback up until his junior season at San Diego State — could be used in an emergency. Holmgren said he expects the team to add a quarterback this week, though that could be to the practice squad.

As far as receiver, the Seahawks will certainly add to the position. Jordan Kent, currently on the practice squad, is a candidate, and Koren Robinson remains someone who's both experienced with Seattle's offense and available. Holmgren was asked if the team might have to look at trading for a receiver and not sifting through the players who are unsigned.

"We need to consider it," Holmgren said. "Because you wind up looking at the same list all the time. Believe me, we'll explore every option we can because desperate times calls for desperate measures."

Notes

• Cornerback Kelly Jennings suffered a broken rib in the first half of Sunday's game, but finished the game. He received an injection at halftime. He isn't expected to practice much this week, but should be able to play on Sunday against St. Louis.

• Right tackle Sean Locklear has a chance to play this week if he returns to practice after missing the first two games with a knee injury ... Holmgren did not rule out Deion Branch returning for this week's game, but he isn't expected back until the fourth game after the Seahawks' bye week.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2008182299_hawknotes160.html
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1