SPORTS FANS UNITED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPORTS FANS UNITED

ALL SPORTS ALL THE TIME!!!! COME TALK SPORTS WITH US...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Robinson impresses in practice

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Robinson impresses in practice Empty
PostSubject: Robinson impresses in practice   Robinson impresses in practice Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 8:20 am

ERIC D. WILLIAMS; eric.williams@thenewstribune.com
Published: September 18th, 2008 12:30 AM

RENTON – Consider Koren Robinson’s first day back with the Seattle Seahawks a mild success.

He made it through practice without sustaining an injury, sitting out the last half-hour or so as the Seahawks training staff chose not to rush him into action.

But during individual and team drills Wednesday at the Seahawks practice facility, Robinson moved like the same player the team salivated over when Seattle used the ninth overall pick in 2001 to draft him, showing brilliant flashes of quickness and speed for a guy 6-foot-1, 205 pounds.

He wore No. 18 Wednesday because his old No. 81 belongs to fellow receiver Nate Burleson.

“I can still play, don’t get it twisted,” Robinson quipped while talking with a throng of reporters after practice. “But I’m not where I’m going to be. I’m not coming in here to be the savior or anything like that. I’m just coming in here and hopefully I can be that spark that we need on the offensive side of the ball.”

Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren, who gave the receiver several chances during his bumpy first tenure in Seattle that ended after the 2004 season, defended his handling of the situation and reiterated his fondness for Robinson, a guy Holmgren drafted while still serving as general manager.

“Well, it’s no secret that I care about the young man,” Holmgren said. “I always did. I wouldn’t say ‘pride,’ but I’ve prayed for him since he left – him and his family – and to see him appear to have his life in order now, I feel good about that.”

Robinson’s teammates welcomed him back with open arms. Offensive tackle Walter Jones was pleased to see Robinson back in a Seahawks uniform and said he believes the former North Carolina State star can help Seattle win games.

“He’s a great receiver,” Jones said. “You’ve got a guy who once you put the ball in his hands, he can make plays. And hopefully he can come here now and still do that for us.”

Cornerback Marcus Trufant also was around during Robinson’s first stint with Seattle, and said he sees a more focused Robinson this time around.

“He looks good,” Trufant said. “Hopefully he can get out there and make an impact for us. He’s a great athlete and he’s a good player, so it’s a good thing.

“He’s a veteran player. I just see him being about business and coming in to take care of business, and that’s what he looks like.”

Young receiver Courtney Taylor said it’s good to have another set of veteran eyes on the field familiar with the offense and who can lend a different perspective to the new receivers trying to learn the intricacies of Holmgren’s offensive system.

“The guy put up numbers and the guy produced,” Taylor said. “Of course he’s going to help us out. We’re young guys. As soon as he got out there today, he was helping me out with stuff.”

Seattle’s other addition at receiver, Keary Colbert, blended right in with the rest of the receiving corps and might be a candidate to receive a lot of playing time Sunday against the St. Louis Rams. Holmgren said he will not decide the rotation for the receivers until the end of the week.

The Seahawks received Colbert in a trade with Denver, reportedly giving up a conditional fifth-round pick. Colbert said the main thing will be learning the new terminology.

“I’m going to be working my butt off to get in that playbook and to hopefully contribute this weekend,” Colbert said. “It’s going to be a task, a challenge, but I’m going to take it”

In order to make room for Colbert on the 53-man roster, the Seahawks released defensive end Jason Babin.

By adding Robinson and Colbert, Holmgren said he believes the team has addressed the long-term issues at the position – Seattle has lost six receivers due to injury – instead of taking a Band-Aid approach to try and limp into the bye week after the Rams game, when Seattle expects to get veteran receivers Bobby Engram and Deion Branch back.

“I think we learned something last week,” Holmgren said. “We probably have to do this.”

As for Robinson’s controlling his past demons in order to have a rare opportunity to return to his former team, Jones said that important process varies for each individual.

“It’s one of those things where he figured out what was going on,” he said. “Sometimes it takes longer for some guys to figure it out. And he’s got another shot at it. So hopefully he can go out there and help us win.”

Eric D. Williams: 253-597-8437

http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/seahawks

Seahawks coach’s corner

Comments and impressions from Seattle Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren’s weekly Wednesday news conference:

• Holmgren said earlier this week he would like to sign a quarterback to the practice squad because backup Seneca Wallace injured his calf and is out for three to four weeks. But after signing receiver Koren Robinson, trading for receiver Keary Colbert, releasing defensive end Jason Babin and signing receiver Trent Shelton to the practice squad, the Seahawks opted to keep only two quarterbacks. “We kicked it around just a little bit, but we need some legs,” he said. “Right now, we don’t have the luxury of having a practice squad spot for a quarterback. Hopefully Seneca can come back after the bye with those other guys.”

• After watching the Seahawks relinquish an average of 33.5 points a game, Holmgren said he thinks the defense, supposedly the strength of the team, has been a bit chastened. “I suspect that they’ll be attentive (this week),” Holmgren said. “I think they’re a little disappointed in how that went Sunday. I believe they believe, and I believe, that we’re better than that. So, we have to start playing that way. I would guess it’s going to be a rather intense week.”

• Despite completing 45 percent of his passes and having his receiving corps change almost daily, Holmgren said he thinks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck has handled the adversity well. “If you had to have a guy who could kind of deal with this, I’d put my money on Matt,” Holmgren said. “He’s played long enough now and had enough success and is confident enough ... to handle it as well as anybody. I think he’s doing that.”

• Holmgren has been forced to abbreviate his gameplan because he has so many new players who are not familiar with his extensive playbook. “It’s not the most fun thing for me to do. I like to play the game kind of wide open and a little bit looser offensively,” Holmgren said. “It’s been a challenge, but you still have to figure out what you have. You do what you think is going to get you the win.”

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/seahawks/story/485543.html
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1