SPORTS FANS UNITED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPORTS FANS UNITED

ALL SPORTS ALL THE TIME!!!! COME TALK SPORTS WITH US...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

MILLEN FIRED

Go down 
AuthorMessage

MILLEN FIRED Empty
PostSubject: MILLEN FIRED   MILLEN FIRED Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 7:50 pm

Lions fire president Millen after 31-84 record
By LARRY LAGE, AP Sports Writer
6 minutes ago

Buzz Up Print
In this Sept. 16, 2007 file ph…

AP - Sep 24, 12:34 pm EDT

In this Aug. 8, 2007 file phot…

AP - Sep 24, 12:31 pm EDT 1 of 2 NFL Gallery ALLEN PARK, Mich. (AP)—Matt Millen has been fired as Detroit Lions president, a team official told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because the team had not yet formally announced the dismissal.

The move comes more than seven years after the former linebacker and TV analyst took over one of the NFL’s most mediocre franchises and made it the worst. Millen’s teams won a league-low 31 games since he took over in 2001, but Detroit owner William Clay Ford had refused to get rid of him until now.

On Monday, Bill Ford, son of the team owner, said he would fire Millen, but didn’t have the authority.

Detroit was routed in each of its first three games this season, falling behind 21-0 twice and 21-3 once en route to lopsided losses. The Lions are off this week.

The 0-3 start dropped Millen to 31-84 overall, giving the Lions at least 10 more losses than any other NFL team over the past seven-plus seasons.

FoxSports.com was the first to report Millen’s departure.

In this Sept. 14, 2008 file ph…

AP - Sep 24, 12:33 pm EDT
The tipping point might have been public comments made by the owner’s son. Lions vice chairman Bill Ford said Millen should leave the team, and the Ford Motor Co. executive chairman said if he had the authority, he would make moves.

“I think the fans deserve better,” Bill Ford told reporters. “And if it were in my authority, which it’s not, I’d make some significant changes.”

His father finally agreed that Millen had to go.

Drivers of vehicles whizzing past the Allen Park facility beeped their horns and gleefully yelled out about the apparent end of the Millen era. A gaggle of reporters, videographers and still photographers roamed around the grounds, waiting for official word of Millen’s departure.

In rare interviews, the elder Ford has stood by his decision to hire Millen and to stick with him despite “Fire Mil-len!” chants from fans as he sank the team to one of the poorest eras in NFL history.

William Clay Ford also has been the target of criticism. Since he took over the franchise, starting with the 1964 season, the Lions have won only one playoff game.

The owner said in 2003 he hadn’t considered firing Millen.

“I want him. I don’t need any more reason than that,” he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to top Go down

MILLEN FIRED
Page 1 of 1