SPORTS FANS UNITED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPORTS FANS UNITED

ALL SPORTS ALL THE TIME!!!! COME TALK SPORTS WITH US...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

49ers notes: Challenging day for Nolan

Go down 
AuthorMessage

49ers notes: Challenging day for Nolan Empty
PostSubject: 49ers notes: Challenging day for Nolan   49ers notes: Challenging day for Nolan Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 12:35 pm

0 Comment
October 13
Sacramento Bee

"It was a bad day for Mike Nolan both on the field and in the replay booth.

The 49ers' coach lost two challenges Sunday, including a questionable challenge of an Eagles field goal that seemed unlikely to be overturned. That 38-yard field goal came midway through the fourth quarter and allowed Philadelphia to retake the lead 27-26. Losing the challenge left the 49ers with one timeout.

The ball was moving from left to right and seemed to soar over the right goal post. Just as both officials raised their arms to say it was good, several 49ers, including cornerback Nate Clements, began gesturing the kick was wide right.

"Well, they reviewed it and said it was good," Clements said after the game. "They may have had a better look."

Said kicker David Akers: "I'm usually pretty good at judging whether I made a particular kick, and I felt I had made that one. I had no doubt in my mind. … You never know how instant replay is going to affect you, but I was pretty confident that the ruling wouldn't be overturned, and it wasn't."

Nolan said he didn't know whether he was allowed to challenge the play or not.

"I didn't think it was good, to be honest with you," said Nolan, who was told by the official he couldn't challenge the play because the ball was above the upright. "I was going to say, 'Well, then I get my challenge back.' But he says, 'No, you're not going to get your challenge back.' "

Nolan also lost a challenge in the first half when he contested a 27-yard pass down the sideline to Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson.

Vernon's back - After catching one pass in the past two games, tight end Vernon Davis had his most prolific game of the season, catching six passes for 75 yards.

But Davis and quarterback J.T. O'Sullivan failed to connect on what would have been the tight end's biggest play of the game.

Late in the third quarter, the 49ers had driven to the Philadelphia 11-yard-line and were facing third and six. O'Sullivan and the rest of the offense went right, leaving Davis alone on the left side of the field.

"That would have been six (points) because there was no one there," Davis said.

But O'Sullivan had to rush his screen pass, and it sailed over Davis' head. Instead of taking a 30-17 lead, the 49ers settled for a field goal."
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1