SPORTS FANS UNITED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPORTS FANS UNITED

ALL SPORTS ALL THE TIME!!!! COME TALK SPORTS WITH US...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Waters likes new role

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Waters likes new role Empty
PostSubject: Waters likes new role   Waters likes new role Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 7:28 am

As soon as the public address announcer cued the Chargers' offense and non-starters to come out of the tunnel Sunday, second-year linebacker Anthony Waters led the way, pumping his fists and getting his teammates fired up.

“I couldn’t wait to get out there,” Waters said. “I’ve been really patient, but it took a while to get on the field. I had so much fun Sunday.”

It’s hard to blame Waters for his excitement. Sunday’s win over New England marked the first time in 22 career games that the former third-round pick had been active for a game.

The Chargers have lauded Waters’ physical skills for quite some time, but the Clemson grad has had problems getting on the field. As a rookie, he was still feeling the affects of a torn ACL he suffered during his final college season.

This season, with Tim Dobbins and Matt Wilhelm splitting time at the “Mo” inside linebacker spot and Stephen Cooper recording 27 tackles and a sack in his first two games back, he found himself in a logjam.

With Shawne Merriman out for the season and Jyles Tucker missing some time with a hamstring injury, the Bolts began working the 6-3, 238-pound Waters on the outside as a pass rusher.

“It’s doing everything you can to get a very good athlete on the field,” Head Coach Norv Turner said. “Obviously (Waters) wasn’t going to play inside for a while. We’ve got a lot of guys there. It was a chance to get him on the field playing special teams and find out what he can do outside.”

Waters was credited with just one assist in limited action, but his teammates were impressed with his effort and enthusiasm.

“He was fired up the entire game,” linebacker Shaun Phillips said. “I know I fed off that.”

Turner has liked what he’s seen from Waters.

“He was impressive when we put him there in practice,” Turner said. “He brings an explosiveness. He’s got great strength.”

While the transition has taken a little work, Waters is enjoying his new role and is energized by the fact that coaches are finding a way to get him on the field.

“I’m excited about it. It gives me a chance to get to the quarterback,” Waters said. “Whatever they ask me to do, I’m going to do it,” Waters said. “I just want to play. That’s it.”

Waters has stayed on the field for several minutes after each day of practice this week, working with outside linebackers coach John Pagano, whose tutoring has been very beneficial.

“I’m just working on different pass rush moves, learning how to attack tackles,” Waters said. “It’s different trying to beat your guy off the ball than it is when you’re blitzing and coming up the middle. There’s a lot of technique involved. I’m having fun with it.”

LT returns, Three sit

Running back LaDainian Tomlinson was back on the practice field Thursday after missing Wednesday’s work. He went through the entire practice, while his backup Darren Sproles was limited after sitting Wednesday.

Tucker as well as wide receivers Chris Chambers and Buster Davis missed a second-consecutive day of practice Thursday. Safety Eric Weddle was a full participant after being limited Wednesday. Fullback Mike Tolbert was limited for a second-consecutive day.

For Buffalo, Pro Bowl defensive end Aaron Schobel missed a second-consecutive day of practice with a foot injury and is in jeopardy of missing Sunday’s game, as is cornerback Terrence McGee.

Change up

Turner altered the team’s schedule a bit Thursday with practice finishing just before 1 p.m., roughly two hours earlier than normal. Following their regular meetings, players were dismissed around 3 p.m.

The team will follow it’s normal travel-day practice schedule Friday before heading to Buffalo. Turner seemed pleased Thursday with the way his team has prepared for their 10-day road trip.

“We’ve had a good week of practice,” Turner said. “We’ve had good focus and energy. Our guys are getting ready for a good opponent.”

http://chargers.com/news/headlines/waters-likes-new.htm
Back to top Go down

Waters likes new role
Page 1 of 1