SPORTS FANS UNITED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPORTS FANS UNITED

ALL SPORTS ALL THE TIME!!!! COME TALK SPORTS WITH US...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Vikings go ahead in their final drive; Packers go wide right in theirs

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Vikings go ahead in their final drive; Packers go wide right in theirs Empty
PostSubject: Vikings go ahead in their final drive; Packers go wide right in theirs   Vikings go ahead in their final drive; Packers go wide right in theirs Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 7:56 pm

By Rick Alonzo
ralonzo@pioneerpress.com
Article Last Updated: 11/09/2008 10:25:52 PM CST

In a wild and emotional game, it was fitting that both Minnesota and Green Bay had a chance to win late in the fourth quarter.

The Vikings got it done at the end, surviving a key third down despite a glitch in Gus Frerotte's radio in his helmet and then getting the winning touchdown in spectacular fashion from Adrian Peterson.

The Packers failed on their final drive despite a miraculous reception by Donald Driver on a tipped ball. But their potential game-winning field goal from 52 yards was wide right.

Here's a closer look at how the Vikings pulled out the 28-27 victory:

VIKINGS' WINNING DRIVE

After watching the Packers score 17 straight points, the Vikings got the ball back with 5:56 remaining, trailing 27-21. The game was on the line, and they were in jeopardy of blowing a dominant defensive performance.

Frerotte knew he had to be a leader at the right time. He had had a terrible game, throwing three interceptions, including one that was returned 59 yards for a touchdown.

"I just kept telling myself, 'Just hang with it, hang with it,' " Frerotte said. "For some odd reason, they were up (six) points. It was incredible. They had an interception return for a touchdown, a punt (return) for a touchdown. It was like we just keep giving these teams points. We can't do that."

The Vikings' game plan for their final drive was neither complicated nor surprising: Get the ball to Peterson, who had dominated the Packers.

Peterson said he knew he would get the chance to carry the load.

"We knew we needed a big drive," he said. "We knew it was possibly our last chance. We just came out focused, taking it one play at a time. Trying to execute. Our offensive line did a great job blocking, the receivers (as well). We made big plays when we needed it. That's what it came down to."

Peterson rushed for 4 yards off left tackle on the first play of the drive, which began at the Minnesota 31-yard line. On the second play, Peterson gained 5 yards off the left guard, setting up a third and 1.

That's when things turned dicey. Frerotte was slow getting the offense up to the line of scrimmage. He barely got the play off before the play clock expired.

Frerotte explained after the game that the radio in his helmet wasn't receiving the play from the coaching staff. At the worst possible time, there was a temporary problem. Frerotte said the radio worked the rest of the drive, but just not on that one play.

"At that point in the game, we don't want to call a timeout," he said. "It's funny. We all know the clock's running down. The (offensive linemen are) screaming. Everybody's screaming. They're going, 'Hey, just (quarterback) sneak it!'

"I'm like, 'No, we're going to throw the ball, and we're going to get a first down.' Just stay calm, cool and keep your poise."

Reserve quarterback John David Booty signaled the play to Frerotte from the sideline. It worked out, with Frerotte finding receiver Bobby Wade for a 5-yard gain on an out route to the right side for the first down, keeping the drive alive.

After another short Peterson run, Frerotte hit Peterson with a 16-yard pass over the middle down to the Green Bay 37. Another pass to Peterson went for 8 yards.

Then on second and 2, Peterson ripped off the big play. He ran off right tackle for a 29-yard touchdown that, with the extra point, gave the Vikings a 28-27 lead. The Vikings were lined up in a two-tight-end formation, and Jim Kleinsasser made a key block, taking standout Green Bay defensive end Aaron Kampman to the ground and out of the play.

"Jimmy, that's what he does," Peterson said. "He's a great tight end. He makes big plays. That's one thing I know about him, when he gets his hands on a guy, nine times out of 10 they aren't coming off."

Peterson outran Packers safety Atari Bigby down the right sideline. Bigby was able to trip up Peterson near the 1-yard line, but Peterson stretched his right hand with the football over the goal line. The Packers challenged, contending that Peterson's knee was down before the ball reached the goal line, but the call was upheld.

"On that last drive, we come out, we're running the ball, guys are making plays," Frerotte said. "I think the coaches saw that. The line's blocking well. And we made some big plays when we needed to. We just put it on (No.) 28's back, and he came through."

PACKERS' LAST DRIVE

The Packers' offense hadn't played well all game, but it had a chance to win anyway, getting the ball back with 2:22 left.

Ryan Longwell's kickoff went down to the 10, where Will Blackmon caught it and scampered 31 yards on the return, setting up the Packers with good field position.

"I thought we had it covered up pretty good, and we ran down there and he just found the seam, I guess, and slid up in there," said Vikings safety Eric Frampton, a special-teams player.

Earlier in the game, Blackmon had returned a punt 65 yards for a touchdown. His nice kickoff return on the final drive meant the Packers weren't that far from reaching field-goal range.

Green Bay got there thanks to a little luck on the first play of the drive.

Aaron Rodgers unleashed a pass over the middle. But Vikings defensive tackle Ellis Wyms was in the way and tipped the ball near the line of scrimmage, sending it wobbling high in the air before it landed in the hands of receiver Donald Driver for a 19-yard gain.

"I was thinking, 'Somebody's coming to knock this guy out, somebody's coming to pick this thing,' " Vikings safety Darren Sharper said. "And it went right to him. After that, I was like, 'C'mon, you're not telling me they're going to get lucky again and find a way to win this thing.' "

Said Wyms: "I probably should have caught it. But it got up on me so quick, I tried to get my hands up and ended up just tipping it. But we tip drills all the time (in practice). It's probably a ball we should have come up with."

Then Vikings defensive lineman Kevin Williams made a big play by stopping Packers running back Ryan Grant for a 1-yard loss on the next play.

"If he breaks through for 6, 7 yards, that's getting them closer and closer for an easier shot for a field goal," Williams said. "We knew what they were going to try to do: run the time down and get a field goal at the end. You just have to keep playing and try to make it a long field goal for them."

That's what the Vikings did. They allowed a 4-yard run by Grant and a 3-yard pass to Driver, who was tackled by at the 34 on third and 7.

On fourth down, with 26 seconds left, Green Bay kicker Mason Crosby's 52-yard attempt sailed wide right.

"I thought it felt good," Crosby said. "Then I was surprised when it went right and stayed over there. I hit it down the middle the whole game. Then that one just got away from me."

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_10943400
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1