SPORTS FANS UNITED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPORTS FANS UNITED

ALL SPORTS ALL THE TIME!!!! COME TALK SPORTS WITH US...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A LITLE BIT ABOUT WARD

Go down 
AuthorMessage

A LITLE BIT ABOUT WARD Empty
PostSubject: A LITLE BIT ABOUT WARD   A LITLE BIT ABOUT WARD Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 11:16 am

4. Derrick Ward (RB, signed by Tampa Bay from NY Giants)

Overview: With tons of money to spend, the Bucs decided to give Ward a four-year, $17-million deal with $6 million guaranteed. While he was never the starter for an extended period of time with the Giants, Ward managed to amass 1025 yards at a league-leading 5.6 yards per carry. The 28-year-old will join Earnest Graham in a two-headed attack for Tampa Bay, which ranked 15th in rushing last year.

Fantasy Analysis – I have to say, I like how the Bucs are shaping up. Granted, they may be rolling with a very unproven QB in Luke McCown, but if they in fact do, that means they are confident in him, and I can see why. He may be slight, so durability is an issue, but McCown has a good arm, and he’s something of a gunslinger. He’s been in the league for a few years now, so this isn’t just a rookie or a second-year player. They have a solid enough No. 1 NFL wideout in Antonio Bryant, plus TE Kellen Winslow is an elite talent when healthy. I even like giving Michael Clayton another shot as a physical possession receiver and their No. 2; he may have a new lease on life with Jon Gruden gone. The problem for Ward fantasy-wise is he’ll have to split time with Graham, but that may not be a huge issue for Ward. We should know by now that committees are en vogue in the NFL, and Ward may be a guy who is better off splitting time with another back, preferably a bigger power back. Graham’s only 5-foot-9 but he’s a sizable runner who can grind it out running inside. He’s a decent receiver, but Ward’s a little more athletic and has a little much juice, so I see Ward being more of a big-play and receiving threat. Certainly, based on the size of the contract, Ward will get plenty of touches in all phases, yet not quite enough to expose him as a player who might not be an ideal feature back. If the passing game can reach its potential, this could be a surprisingly good offense. Keep in mind their offensive line is very good. We’ll have to get a better feel for his role later this year, but Ward’s a good player in a potentially-good situation, so I certainly think he’s worth drafting if the price is right. We’ll just have to see later this year if he’s a low-end No. 2, or a high-end No. 3 fantasy RB.
Back to top Go down

A LITLE BIT ABOUT WARD
Page 1 of 1