SPORTS FANS UNITED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPORTS FANS UNITED

ALL SPORTS ALL THE TIME!!!! COME TALK SPORTS WITH US...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

CHARGERS NOTES: Gates practices; Merriman to visit surgeon

Go down 
AuthorMessage

CHARGERS NOTES: Gates practices; Merriman to visit surgeon Empty
PostSubject: CHARGERS NOTES: Gates practices; Merriman to visit surgeon   CHARGERS NOTES: Gates practices; Merriman to visit surgeon Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 11:04 pm

By MIKE SULLIVAN - Staff Writer | Wednesday, August 20, 2008 12:26 AM PDT ∞

SAN DIEGO ---- Chargers tight end Antonio Gates reached a milestone in his rehabilitation from a toe injury Tuesday while linebacker Shawne Merriman's persistent knee pain has him heading across country for an examination.

Merriman missed two more practices Tuesday and wasn't at Chargers Park. He was en route to Alabama to see Dr. James Andrews for what was described by a team official as a "follow-up exam."

It was Andrews who repaired cartilage damage in Merriman's left knee five months ago. Merriman isn't expected back to Chargers Park until Thursday.

Gates passed a physical, was taken off the Physically Unable to Perform list and participated in part of practice for the first time during training camp.

"Today was a pretty good day," Gates said. "I really pushed it. I gave it my all to see what I could do."

Gates was unsure if he would practice Wednesday. He said he wants to see how his left foot responds before making a decision. He remains optimistic that he'll play in the regular-season opener against Carolina on Sept. 7.

At the same time, he hedges in case of a setback.

"I hate to look so far down the road because this is a tricky situation," Gates said. "It's one of those things where it feels really good one day and you come back another day and it's sore.

"It's one of those injuries where you have to really monitor and make sure I'm not overdoing it and doing nothing to have any setbacks."

In another development, defensive end Luis Castillo (back) participated in individual drills during Tuesday's morning practice, his most extensive on-field work in two weeks.

"Obviously, if this were the regular season, I'd be playing," said Castillo, who missed the team's first two preseason contests. "We're being smart with it and now we'll start pushing a little bit."

Also, cornerback Antonio Cromartie practiced despite minor ankle and wrist injuries.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/08/20/sports/chargers/zfcf205a4d310a953882574ab000d1f6d.txt
Back to top Go down

CHARGERS NOTES: Gates practices; Merriman to visit surgeon Empty
PostSubject: Re: CHARGERS NOTES: Gates practices; Merriman to visit surgeon   CHARGERS NOTES: Gates practices; Merriman to visit surgeon Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 2:12 pm

Merriman considers options after knee ligament damage discovered
Associated Press

Updated: August 22, 2008, 9:21 AM ET
Comment
Email
Print
SAN DIEGO -- San Diego Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman, who has missed more than a week of practice because of a sore left knee, said Thursday night that he has ligament damage and is evaluating his options.

Merriman

The trouble is "a loose ligament and [I'm] waiting to get more info on what I need to do," Merriman said in an e-mail to the North County Times.

Merriman underwent surgery to repair cartilage damage five months ago but has had persistent pain in the knee during training camp. He traveled this week to Birmingham, Ala., so the knee could be examined by Dr. James Andrews, who performed the operation.

Merriman last played in the Aug. 9 preseason opener against Dallas and has not practiced since then.

Coach Norv Turner said he hoped that Merriman will be able to play on Sept. 7 when the Chargers open their regular season against the Carolina Panthers.

"I think he can be close to 100 percent and get back with some real good rehab work," Turner said. "He's been doing a great job with it and I think he just needs some more time right now."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1