SPORTS FANS UNITED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPORTS FANS UNITED

ALL SPORTS ALL THE TIME!!!! COME TALK SPORTS WITH US...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gates back to old self

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Gates back to old self Empty
PostSubject: Gates back to old self   Gates back to old self Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 6:12 pm

Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez and his Chargers counterpart Antonio Gates have always had a huge mutual respect for one another. After what the Bolts’ perennial Pro Bowler has been through this season, Gonzalez’s thoughts of Gates have been raised even a bit more.

“Just as a person, I really like Gates because he’s tough,” Gonzalez said. “He plays hurt. He works hard. I have unbelievable respect for him.”

Gates’ long journey back from major toe surgery this offseason has been well documented. He underwent an operation in late February, missed the entire offseason and began practicing late in training camp to get back on the field for the regular season opener.

The numbers suggest that Gates has felt like himself all season. He’s tied with Vincent Jackson for the team led in catches with 30 and has 403 receiving yards. He also has five touchdown catches, the most among all NFL tight ends. While he’s been a good actor, Gates was able to grin and bear the pain through the first half of the season.

“It’s been tough at times, but as a competitor you fight through it,” Gates said. “I’d never been through a major injury before. It’s not easy. There have been times in the first half of the season where I just haven’t felt like myself.”

Ten weeks into the season, Gates believes he’s getting much closer to being his old self. Two weeks ago against New Orleans, he had his best game of the season, hauling in six passes for 96 yards and a touchdown.

“I thought he’s progressed every week,” Head Coach Norv Turner said. “He was outstanding in the game (against New Orleans). He moved the best he’s moved and he changed direction the best he’s done that.”

Gates felt encouraged by his play in London and hopes it’s something he can build on as the second half of the season begins Sunday.

“There are glimpses of it,” Gates said. “I'm able to make plays that I wasn't able to make early in the year due to the injury and due to the surgery. I just feel the comfort level is coming back, physically and mentally. For most people who don't know, the mental part of it is just as important as the physical part of it, just knowing and feeling comfortable that you can do it.”

As always, Gates is excited to see his old friend Gonzalez this weekend. No tight end in NFL history has caught more passes than Gonzalez, and having the nine-time Pro Bowler watching from the opposite sideline always seems to bring out the best in Gates.

While he’s played in three more games against both Denver and Oakland, Gates has caught more touchdown passes (Cool against the Chiefs than he has against any other opponent.

“We compete, but it’s not like I have to (defend) him and he has to (defend) me,” Gates said. “That’s what makes it cool about football. You see a guy who plays your position and you can kind of pull for him. You still want your team to win, but it’s not a one-on-one battle and that’s unique.”

Gates and Gonzalez speak regularly during the offseason and often share tips with each other, tidbits that both players have found very helpful.

“We see the same game plans,” Gates said. “Teams play us the same way a lot so I can watch Chiefs film and see what they did to him and use that. Tony can do the same thing by watching us. He the only person in the league I can do that with.”

Although Gonzalez has been in the league six more years than Gates, he says there are things he can pick up from his younger counterpart.

“I just watch him grow as a player and seeing the things that he does, trying to copy them, trying to see if I can put that in my game,” Gonzalez said. “I feel very fortunate to play at the same time he has and watch him play.”

From a pure statistical standpoint, Gates is behind where he was at the midway point a year ago. Through eight games in 2007, he had 46 receptions for 639 yards. With his toe continuing to feel better, he hopes for a big second half.

“I missed a lot of football this summer and through camp,” Gates said. “Being able to practice a full week the last couple months is huge. I’m still breaking up some of the scar tissue and fighting through, but I’m feeling better. Hopefully this is a good November and December for me but more importantly for the San Diego Chargers.”

Cromartie, Chambers return

Both wide receiver Chris Chambers (ankle) and cornerback Antonio Cromartie (hip) were back on the field Thursday after missing Wednesday’s practice. Both players were limited in what they were able to do, but Turner was encouraged by what he saw from them.

“I feel better,” Turner said. “They were limited but they were able to go through a good part of what we did. As long as there’s not a setback tomorrow from what they did, they should be alright.”

Although Cromartie hasn’t missed any game time, his hip has bothered him throughout the season. Chambers missed two games with his ankle but played in London. He thinks the bye week help him.

“I was able to come back here and have a week of practice, more than I’ve done in a long time,” Chambers said. “Hopefully I can get out on the field and make some plays. This injury is going to nag for a while. I just have to remain tough and fight through.”

http://chargers.com/news/headlines/gates-back-to.htm
Back to top Go down

Gates back to old self
Page 1 of 1