SPORTS FANS UNITED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPORTS FANS UNITED

ALL SPORTS ALL THE TIME!!!! COME TALK SPORTS WITH US...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hawks like what they see in DB

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Hawks like what they see in DB Empty
PostSubject: Hawks like what they see in DB   Hawks like what they see in DB Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 8:56 am

Speedy corner Wilson matures, picks up his game
By CLARE FARNSWORTH
P-I REPORTER

RENTON -- Last year, Josh Wilson was the "little brother" of the Seahawks' revamped secondary.

He had arrived as the team's top draft choice -- the 23rd selection in the second round -- full of swagger and sass. He talked too much in meetings. His locker was deemed so untidy that the veteran defensive backs banished him to a makeshift cubicle. The best plays he made came when he was initially beaten but used his speed and athletic ability to recover.

This summer Wilson has grown up and, more important, is growing into an NFL-caliber cornerback.

"Josh has stepped out of that role," secondary coach Jim Mora said of the alterations in Wilson's play and personality. "He has come into this camp focused and competitive and much more serious about his craft.

"He just has a much more professional attitude than he had as a rookie. You see it in the meeting room. You see it out on the practice field. On a daily basis, he gets better because of it."

Like in practice Wednesday morning, when Wilson was in position to tip one pass over the middle that was intercepted by cornerback Kelly Jennings and later to break up a pass to wide receiver Logan Payne.

Like in Saturday night's preseason home opener against the Bears, when Wilson tipped away a pass just as it was about to settle into the hands of the intended receiver, blitzed to force a grounding penalty and smothered his receiver on another play to force an incompletion.

OK, so maybe the tipped pass was Wilson being "the same ol' Josh."

Wilson breaks into a huge grin before offering, "It was kind of a last-second thing. I was in position, but I didn't see the ball until the very end."

Even then, Wilson wasn't sure he had made the play.

"I felt like it was slow motion," he said. "I remember hitting the ball, but the crowd didn't say anything. So I'm like, 'Did he catch it?' Then I heard the roar. It was great."

That's the beauty of being the fastest player on the team (4.35 in the 40 at the NFL combine) and having a vertical leap (36 ½ inches) that is very compensatory for a player who stands all of 5-foot-9.

"Josh has a really good burst to close, and he's got good make-up speed," Mora said.

The improvement in this bundle of abundant athletic ability is providing the Seahawks with some nice options when they go to their nickel and dime packages -- the defenses used against opponents' three- and four-receiver sets.

There's still Jordan Babineaux, the incumbent nickel back who also has started games at cornerback and safety during his four-year career with the Seahawks. There's also Kevin Hobbs, who's better suited to playing an outside corner. Now there's Wilson, who is showing he can make plays while covering one of the slot receivers.

"Josh is a tough, tough kid," Mora said. "He might be small in stature, but he's very, very competitive and he's been really fun to watch."

Wherever he plays, Wilson goes into it carrying some sage advice from Mora.

"Like Coach Mora says, 'You've got to sweep the corners and just take care of the details. Don't just throw the dirt in the corners,' " Wilson said. "I just try to take care of every detail and make sure I'm doing everything as exact as I can."

FOCUS ON: MATT HASSELBECK'S BACK

As practice was just getting serious at Seahawks training camp Wednesday morning, Matt Hasselbeck walked off the field with the other sidelined players.

Shrugging his shoulders, the team's Pro Bowl quarterback offered, "What can I tell you? I want to practice."

Hasselbeck is not practicing because of a stiff back. He likely won't play in Monday night's nationally televised preseason game against the Chargers in San Diego.

It's not that Hasselbeck's back is preventing him from playing and practicing. It's that the significant date here is Sept. 7 -- when the Seahawks open their regular season against the Bills in Buffalo. That's when the team needs Hasselbeck to play.

He returned to practice last Thursday, but did not play Saturday night in the preseason home opener. Hasselbeck began practice Tuesday, but didn't finish it after his back stiffened.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/375871_hawk21.html
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1