SPORTS FANS UNITED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPORTS FANS UNITED

ALL SPORTS ALL THE TIME!!!! COME TALK SPORTS WITH US...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Interception for TD ruins Ryan’s night

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Interception for TD ruins Ryan’s night Empty
PostSubject: Interception for TD ruins Ryan’s night   Interception for TD ruins Ryan’s night Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 1:43 am

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER
The Atlanta Journal-Consitution
Sunday, August 17, 2008

Falcons rookie quarterback Matt Ryan had a shaky Georgia Dome debut in Saturday’s preaseason game against Indianapolis.

“Matt did not play as well as he played last week, obviously,” head coach Mike Smith said after the Falcons’ 16-9 loss. “It’s a maturation process for the quarterback. Am I surprised by it? Not really.”

Ryan, the third player taken in the NFL draft, had the Falcons on the move late in the second quarter before the first major mistake of his pro career.

Indianapolis cornerback Kelvin Hayden stepped in front of a pass intended for Brian Finneran and returned it 67 yards for a touchdown to put the Colts ahead 10-6.

“I just made a poor decision,” Ryan said. “It really was just not a great throw. I should have put a little more zip on the ball, but that’s something to learn from.”

The pass never reached Finneran, who ran a route that took him near the sideline. But Hayden broke on the ball, caught it and headed to the endzone.

“He made a good play on that ball,” Ryan said. “He squatted on it, came up and made a good break on it. I think I can really learn from that.”

Ryan, who signed a six-year, $72 million deal, had the Falcons in the middle of a promising drive. It started at their 6-yard line with 2:57 left in the first half. He made a nice play to keep the drive going. On third-and-10 from the 16, Ryan eluded a rush and tossed a 15-yard pass to Roddy White for a first down.

He drove the Falcons down to the Indianapolis 38, before Hayden’s play.

Ryan entered the game with 11:20 left in the second quarter and played into the third quarter. On his first series, he drove the Falcons just 13 yards and they were forced to punt after Ryan was sacked by former Georgia standout Marcus Howard on third down.

His third series, after the interception, started at Indianapolis’ 40-yard line. Ryan was undaunted by the interception and completed a pass to Harry Douglas, but there were off-setting penalties to nullify the play. The drive stalled when Ryan nearly had another pass intercepted on third-and-4 from the 23. Ryan attempted a pass to Finneran over the middle, but Indianapolis’ Jamie Silver deflected it and nearly made the interception. The Falcons had to settle for Jason Elam’s 40-yard field goal to make it 10-9.

On the Falcons next series, Ryan was called for a false start when he pulled back from center too soon. After misfiring high on two more passes, the Falcons sent in the punt team.

In four series, Ryan did not lead the Falcons to a score. He completed 8-of-16 passes for 62 yards and one interception.

“I think this will be a good tape to learn from,” Ryan said.

Ryan shined in the team’s preseason opener against Jacksonville. He completed 9-of-15 passes for 113 yards and a touchdown.

Against the Colts, Ryan again showed that he can spread the ball around. His eight completions went to five players.

“I think he played good,” wide receive Roddy White said. “He did a lot of good things. Every time we got the ball, we were backed up. He moved the ball right out of there. That was a good sign for me.”

http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/sports/falcons/stories/2008/08/17/falcons_matt_ryan.html
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1