SPORTS FANS UNITED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPORTS FANS UNITED

ALL SPORTS ALL THE TIME!!!! COME TALK SPORTS WITH US...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

First-teamers score at last in preseason

Go down 
AuthorMessage

First-teamers score at last in preseason Empty
PostSubject: First-teamers score at last in preseason   First-teamers score at last in preseason Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 9:45 am

Ravens Rams
By Jim Thomas
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
08/24/2008

Where were you when it finally happened?

Yes, for the first time in Scott Linehan's tenure as head coach, the first-team offense scored a preseason touchdown. The Rams enjoyed it so much they did it again. That's right, two TDs by the starting unit Saturday against the Baltimore Ravens.

A strong performance by quarterback Marc Bulger, coupled with a combined eight catches for rookie wide receivers Donnie Avery and Keenan Burton, propelled the Rams to a 24-10 victory over Baltimore at the Edward Jones Dome. The point total was the highest for a Linehan team in the preseason since he took over as head coach in 2006.

And let's not forget the defense. Despite yielding its first touchdown of the preseason, the starting defense continued its stout play in August, highlighted by yet another red-zone stop in the first quarter.

Bulger, shaky in his first two preseason games, had it working against the Ravens. He completed 18 of 25 passes for 182 yards, two TDs, and a passer rating of 119.1. Five of those seven incompletions went off receivers' hands. Bulger, remember, had entered the game with a measly 14.1 passer rating for the preseason.

So can everyone calm down on Bulger — at least for a while?

"It was never my deal; it was your (media) deal," Linehan said. "Sometimes you've all done things where you press. I think there was some of that. I think you put a lot of pressure on yourselves sometimes, and it affects your ability to perform.

"In this case, I just think it was a matter of him going out and relaxing, having fun, getting that smile back on his face. And I saw that tonight. I think the way the offensive line played has something to do with that. He looked like his old self to me."

Even Bulger couldn't resist a playful poke at the media when asked if he was relieved to get the first-team offense in the end zone.

"You might have to think of a couple new things to write this week," he said, laughing. "But hey. Whatever. It's just good for morale to get in the end zone."

At first glance, it didn't look much like the starting offense making the scoring forays. What with running back Steven Jackson sitting out — fresh off his contract holdout. And No. 2 and No. 3 wide receivers Drew Bennett (groin) and Dante Hall (ankle) sidelined earlier in the game with injuries. And Adam Goldberg starting at left tackle in place of Orlando Pace, who was resting his sore shoulder.

But it was still Bulger at quarterback, the rest of the starting offensive line, tight end Randy McMichael, and wide receiver Torry Holt. Granted, the Ravens were without some of their starters defensively, including nose tackle Kelley Gregg, cornerback Chris McAlister, and free safety Ed Reed.

But Linehan, offensive coordinator Al Saunders, Bulger — and Rams Nation — can exhale. One of the main goals of Saturday's contest was to get Bulger and the passing game in rhythm. Mission accomplished.

The Rams even tried the no-huddle on one drive to get the offense going. But bad field position, caused in part by some sloppy special teams play, conspired against the St. Louis offense for much of the half. Four false starts against the offensive line — one apiece for every starter except Goldberg — didn't help either.

But a 58-yard drive midway through the second quarter finally ended the touchdown drought. With Bennett and Hall sidelined at this point, Avery and Burton were getting plenty of work with the starters.

With the help of a 17-yard catch by Avery, who was making his preseason debut, the Rams advanced to the Baltimore 4. On first and goal, Bulger launched a fade pattern to Burton in the back right corner of the end zone. Burton came down with the ball, but the pass was ruled incomplete — out of bounds.

Linehan waited to see a scoreboard replay, and then threw down the challenge flag. Every step contested, right?

"I said that to somebody," Linehan said. "I said, 'They're really going to make this thing hard. Now, we've got to challenge to get this touchdown.' "

After review, the original call was reversed. The play stood as a touchdown, and the long drought was over with 6 minutes left in the half. It took Burton, a fourth-round draft pick from Kentucky, to get it done.

"Actually, Marc's the one that broke the drought," Burton said. "He gave me the opportunity to catch the ball, and I just tried to make a play on it."

Up 10-3, the Rams got the ball back at their 9 with 3:23 left in the second quarter. Thanks in part to a 26-yard reception from Avery, the Rams reached the end zone again. This time, on third and goal from the 1, Bulger threw a TD pass to running back Travis Minor.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/CA17226A0CB481AF862574AF0010E6F7?OpenDocument
Back to top Go down
UNCLE BIGBEAR
Admin
UNCLE BIGBEAR

First-teamers score at last in preseason Empty
PostSubject: Re: First-teamers score at last in preseason   First-teamers score at last in preseason Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 5:27 am

NOT LOOKING ALL THAT GOOD THUS FAR IN PRE SEASON BUT WE WILL HAVE TO WAIT TO SEE IF THIS IS A SIGN OF THE FUTURE
Back to top Go down
https://uuuu.forumotion.net

Page 1 of 1