SPORTS FANS UNITED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPORTS FANS UNITED

ALL SPORTS ALL THE TIME!!!! COME TALK SPORTS WITH US...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Lelie isn't guaranteed a 49ers roster spot

Go down 
AuthorMessage
UNCLE BIGBEAR
Admin
UNCLE BIGBEAR

Lelie isn't guaranteed a 49ers roster spot Empty
PostSubject: Lelie isn't guaranteed a 49ers roster spot   Lelie isn't guaranteed a 49ers roster spot Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 5:03 pm

By Daniel Brown Mercury News

Mike Martz is not a fan of the word "fair." Someone used it Wednesday in asking about Alex Smith and the 49ers' quarterback situation.

Martz reacted as if someone spit in the Gatorade jug.

"Let's get this straight. There's nothing fair about this league. All right?'' he snapped.

"If you establish yourself as an incredible player "... that's just the way it goes. There's nothing fair about this game. Understand that, first of all. OK?"

Martz was talking about the quarterback battle.

But you can bet Ashley Lelie's ears perked up.

The 49ers receiver faces an uncertain future heading into Friday night's exhibition finale against the San Diego Chargers.

He missed virtually all of training camp because of a calf injury. Other receivers quickly capitalized on his absence.

That means Lelie isn't guaranteed a roster spot, despite a career average of 17.2 yards per catch — the best mark among active NFL receivers.

Fair? There's nothing fair about this league, OK?

Lelie, in his seventh NFL season, understands.

"I just need to show that I can play, you know?" he said. "I just need to basically show that I've grasped the offense pretty well and that when I get my opportunities, I can make plays. That's really all I can show with the opportunity I have."

With the quarterback question out of the way last week, the spotlight shifts to Lelie and the rest of the guys catching the ball.

Coach Mike Nolan said the team will keep five or six receivers on the roster when final cuts are made Saturday. Isaac Bruce, Bryant Johnson, Josh Morgan and Arnaz Battle look like sure things.

That leaves a small window for the six other receivers currently on the roster: Lelie, Cam Colvin, Jason Hill, Dominique Zeigler, Jerard Rabb and Robert Ortiz.

There is also the question of who starts. Johnson and Battle have been limited by injuries, although Battle had two catches for 33 yards in the exhibition opener. Morgan has been terrific, but Nolan has held back on giving him a starting job.

The patchwork nature of the preseason has left little time to develop the chemistry and timing required in Martz's system.

"We've been behind the eight ball there and that's hurt us,'' Martz said. "We need that desperately."

Choosing the right receivers is pivotal for an offensive coordinator who keeps everyone on the depth chart busy.

Under Martz a year ago, the Detroit Lions were the only team in the NFL to have three receivers with at least 60 catches — Shaun McDonald (79), Roy Williams (64) and Mike Furrey (61).

That stat is from Stats LLC, which also notes that the Lions threw passes on an NFL-high 66.4 percent of their offensive plays.

The 49ers, meanwhile, haven't had even one receiver catch 60 passes since 2003.

Surprisingly, quarterback J.T. O'Sullivan said he wasn't overly concerned about the ongoing job fair at receiver. He said all that's required of him is to get the ball to the right spot — no matter which receiver happens to be there.

"I don't look around to see who's in the huddle and who's at what position. That's not how offense works,'' O'Sullivan said. "It's based on what coverage we see. The ball goes to a certain spot. I'm throwing it where it has to be. It doesn't matter who it is."

Will it be Lelie? Hailed as a deep threat, he was disappointing in the 49ers' moribund offense a year ago, managing just 10 catches for 115 yards and no touchdowns in limited action.

But he thinks he can offer something the 49ers need. Lelie has 21 career receptions of at least 40 yards.

"Definitely,'' Lelie said. "I feel I can stretch the field with my speed and being able to catch the ball. I definitely believe I have that in my skills."

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_10320331
Back to top Go down
https://uuuu.forumotion.net

Page 1 of 1