SPORTS FANS UNITED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPORTS FANS UNITED

ALL SPORTS ALL THE TIME!!!! COME TALK SPORTS WITH US...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Titans put heat on receivers

Go down 
AuthorMessage
UNCLE BIGBEAR
Admin
UNCLE BIGBEAR

Titans put heat on receivers Empty
PostSubject: Titans put heat on receivers   Titans put heat on receivers Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 9:01 pm

Inconsistent unit must help Young

By JIM WYATT • Staff Writer • August 28, 2008

GREEN BAY, Wis. — While everyone else stresses about the quarterback, Titans offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger will have his sights set on another position tonight.

During the preseason finale against the Packers, he wants to see something from the receivers.

"I'm really not that worried," Heimerdinger said of quarterback Vince Young. "If he was going in the wrong spot and not reading the coverages it would be one thing. If his feet were wrong and was off-balance it would be one thing. But I just don't see those problems right now.

"What I'd really like to see is more consistency with the guys surrounding him. And I'd like to see somebody step up and make a play for us.''

The offensive struggles this preseason are well documented. In 12 drives by the first unit, the Titans have two field goals and no touchdowns. Young has been erratic, completing 43.2 percent of passes.

As for the receivers, Heimerdinger called them inconsistent. Starters Justin Gage and Justin McCareins both dropped balls last Friday against the Falcons, but they seem to be the only wideouts in good standing with the coordinator.

Against the Packers the first-team offense is expected to play into the third quarter, its most extensive work of the preseason.

"I'd like to see guys get in the right spots so Vince knows where they're going to be. If we're not in the right spots, we're not doing the right things, we're not separating, it's awful hard to look good throwing," Heimerdinger said.

"I know everybody is like 'It's on Vince, it's on Vince, it's on Vince.' Well, somebody has to also get some separation out there and get in the right spot. We need 11 on the same page and we're all taking turns screwing up.''
On the spot

Behind Gage and McCareins, Brandon Jones and Roydell Williams have the most experience and each has a chance to take command of the No. 3 spot.

Jones has been among the inconsistent, however, and Williams, coming off ankle surgery, hasn't been on the practice field long enough to be fairly judged, according to Heimerdinger.

"When Roydell practices he looks good, but the thing is he has to be out there more than once a week,'' he said. "Brandon is real good and then there are times when he's not so good. The whole group it's like someone goes forward and then someone goes back. I'm hoping we get there, and obviously we have to get there pretty soon.''

Biren Ealy is the team's leading preseason wideout with five catches. Rookie Lavelle Hawkins has the biggest play of the preseason — a 51-yard touchdown catch — but he's been slowed by a sprained ankle.

Paul Williams and Chris Davis have struggled. Undrafted rookie Edward Williams has shown more in practices than games.

The group is on the verge of turning the corner, according to Young.

"We are close," he said, "but we still have some things we want to iron out and this preseason game is going to do a lot for us.''
Down to the wire

At the start of the offseason, Heimerdinger said he was confident he could win with the receivers in house. He said he still believes that — unless players keep doing things to change his mind. There's also a chance the Titans could add a receiver if one they like is cut by another team this week.

"Right now this is our group, that's our players,'' Heimerdinger said. "We don't have much of a choice, so somebody has to step up.''

It will have to be against Green Bay, the last dress rehearsal for the regular season opener, and an important AFC South game, against the Jaguars on Sept. 7.

"The idea is to get something going and get some momentum going into that game,'' McCareins said. "We're not going to show much and neither is Green Bay, but the idea is to get prepared for the regular season.''

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080828/SPORTS01/808280403/1027
Back to top Go down
https://uuuu.forumotion.net

Page 1 of 1