SPORTS FANS UNITED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPORTS FANS UNITED

ALL SPORTS ALL THE TIME!!!! COME TALK SPORTS WITH US...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

'Pacman’ Jones reinstated, but now Hurd hurt

Go down 
AuthorMessage

'Pacman’ Jones reinstated, but now Hurd hurt Empty
PostSubject: 'Pacman’ Jones reinstated, but now Hurd hurt   'Pacman’ Jones reinstated, but now Hurd hurt Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 4:47 pm

By CLARENCE E. HILL JR.
chill@star-telegram.com

IRVING — Deep down, Dallas Cowboys cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones always knew this day would come.

Although nothing was a given, Jones had worked too hard to remake his image for his goal not to materialize.

Still, when he got the official word Thursday that he had been reinstated after being suspended for the 2007 season for repeated violations of the NFL’s personal-conduct policy, Jones couldn’t help himself.

"Yes, I did scream," said a smiling Jones. "It feels good. I have been waiting for this for a long time. I know my responsibilities to the NFL. I am going to hold my own and do what I need to do to make sure I stay where I am at right now."

While Jones was officially joining the team for the regular season, the Cowboys lost receiver Sam Hurd to a high ankle sprain in Thursday’s 16-10 preseason win against Minnesota at Texas Stadium. He’ll be re-examined today.

Jones didn’t play in the game, and right now he couldn’t be in a better place.

Several times during his suspension, he openly talked about joining the Cowboys upon his return. Citing the team’s history for taking chances on troubled players and its winning tradition, Jones thought it would be a great place to start over.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, looking for cornerback help, took the a step toward making the dream a reality by acquiring Adam Jones in a trade with Tennessee that was finalized April 27.

Roughly four months later and 20 months since Jones’ last game with the Titans in December 2006, Jones is back. His next official game will be the Sept. 7 season opener against the Cleveland Browns, where Jones will serve as the third cornerback and primary punt returner.

"I ain’t going to say this is what I saw, but this is what I wanted," Jones said. "I always wanted to be a part of the star. Thank God, now I am reinstated. I am fully a Dallas Cowboy."

With the reinstatement, the Cowboys send the Tennessee Titans a sixth-round draft choice in 2009. That pick is in addition to the fourth-rounder Dallas sent Tennessee in this year’s draft. Two draft picks and a four-year, $13.3 million contract were well worth the risk for Jerry Jones, who has an instant impact player to add to his well-stocked roster. Jerry Jones has said all along he wouldn’t have made the trade if didn’t think Adam Jones could help the Cowboys make a Super Bowl run. Still, he credits Adam Jones for making the return happen.

"Adam has worked hard to get to this point, but he also knows that there is still a lot of work ahead of him," Jerry Jones said in a statement. "He is fully aware of the opportunity that he has been given, and he knows that this is an ongoing process."

Adam Jones was suspended in April 2007 after an accumulation of arrests and legal problems, including his connection to a shooting at a Las Vegas strip club. He’s been arrested six times and involved in 12 incidents requiring police intervention since being drafted in the first round by Tennessee in 2005.

"I have to conduct myself like an NFL player to make sure none of these actions come again," Jones said.

http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/869650.html
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1