SPORTS FANS UNITED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPORTS FANS UNITED

ALL SPORTS ALL THE TIME!!!! COME TALK SPORTS WITH US...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Defense burned in game-winning drive

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Defense burned in game-winning drive Empty
PostSubject: Defense burned in game-winning drive   Defense burned in game-winning drive Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 4:35 pm

0 Speak Out
September 15
Jacksonville Times-Union

"For the second consecutive week, new Jaguars defensive coordinator Gregg Williams faced a critical third-down call in the fourth quarter against one of his former teams.

Williams used different strategies on the two plays. Neither worked, and the Jaguars are 0-2.

Last week, Williams called an all-out blitz on Kerry Collins' first play on third-and-15 at the Tennessee 30. Collins threw a quick screen to tight end Bo Scaife, which gained 44 yards and set up the winning touchdown in the Titans' 17-10 victory.

On Sunday against Buffalo, a team Williams coached from 2001-2003, the Jaguars were defending a third-and-6 play at their 44 while leading 16-10.

This time, Williams, who wasn't available for comment after the game, decided to play it conservatively in a cover-2 defense with a pair of deep safeties.

The coverage is designed to take away the big play, but wide receiver Lee Evans beat safety Gerald Sensabugh for a 37-yard gain down the left sideline.

Rookie Quentin Groves, who had a sack that caused a Trent Edwards fumble in the third quarter, said he just missed getting to Edwards on the play.

Sensabaugh, who said he had the deep half of the field, added, "He [Evans] ran a double move on me."

The call from Williams came in to middle linebacker Mike Peterson, who wouldn't second-guess it when asked if they should have double-covered Evans, the Bills' most dangerous receiver.

"I can't question it," Peterson said. "It's not my position to question it. I just play. I wish I could question it [but if he did] I'd be on the way out the door."

Peterson said the players have to make the play regardless of the call that comes in from the coaches.

"I look at it from the other perspective," he said. "I've got to make a play. I don't look at it as the coaches not having us in the right coverage. That's the easy way out."

Edwards said he studied that play last week because Evans was open when the Bills ran it last year against the Jaguars, but J.P. Losman, who was then playing quarterback, didn't connect with Evans.

"Lee ran a post corner on the safety and it was the same situation over again and it was a matter of watching it develop, standing there with the ball and getting it to him," Edwards said.

Said Evans: "I got up on the safety, gave him a move, he came out and Trent gave me a good ball.""
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1