SPORTS FANS UNITED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPORTS FANS UNITED

ALL SPORTS ALL THE TIME!!!! COME TALK SPORTS WITH US...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Seahawks defensive end Jason Babin hopes offseason work means more playing time

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Seahawks defensive end Jason Babin hopes offseason work means more playing time Empty
PostSubject: Seahawks defensive end Jason Babin hopes offseason work means more playing time   Seahawks defensive end Jason Babin hopes offseason work means more playing time Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 7:56 am

Babin used his offseason to bulk up and condition himself for a serious run at making the final roster this season. A former first-round pick of the Houston Texans, Babin fell out of favor after starting every game as a rookie in 2004.
By José Miguel Romero
Seattle Times staff reporter

Jason Babin admitted, perhaps in jest, that he probably should have spent more time studying in college.

Instead he used some of his time to draw. The sketching in his notebook turned into an intricate tattoo design that Babin took to a tattoo shop and had inked from one arm, over his shoulders and across his back and down the other arm.

No doubt Babin is artistic. But he certainly spent some time in the books at Western Michigan, because the Seahawks defensive end was able to assess himself at the end of last season and be proactive. Babin used his offseason to bulk up and condition himself for a serious run at making the final roster this season.

A former first-round pick of the Houston Texans, Babin fell out of favor after starting every game as a rookie in 2004. Babin joined the Seahawks in September 2007 when Seattle traded safety Michael Boulware, whom it had become dissatisfied with, to the Texans.

The problem was Babin was joining a Seahawks defense that already had its defensive-line rotation set.

"Last year was a real difficult spot," Babin said. "I came in the new guy. Everything was set. They had their pass rushers they were happy with. They had everything flowing for them. So I was just kind of the odd man out."

Babin was inactive for all but two games. He resolved himself to careful observation of teammates and doing what he could in practice last season.

"Last year when he came, his hands were all over the place," defensive-line coach Dwaine Board said. "He's done a real good job of taking care of that problem. He's definitely more explosive this year."

Babin took note of Pro Bowl defensive end Patrick Kerney's workout regimen and started training with Kerney. Babin worked more with free weights and added 15 pounds to his frame. Used primarily as a rush linebacker in Houston, Babin built himself into more of a true defensive end body wise to better fit the Seahawks' plans.

"I played defensive end in college, so that's what I truly love, rushing the passer," Babin said. "The biggest thing for me is playing the run."

Babin weighs 269 pounds, and his offseason work is paying off in training camp. His place on the final roster isn't secure — there are six defensive ends in camp and Kerney, Darryl Tapp and rookie Lawrence Jackson are locks to make the team — but Babin is making his case.

"[He] seems to be much better," Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren said. "He had a pretty good first game, and he understands. He's a particular style of player and he has his strengths. He's not a big, bulky guy, but he's fast and he's strong.

advertising

"He's much more comfortable, and it shows this year."

Babin, playing with the second unit, had four solo tackles, a sack and a fumble recovery in the Seahawks' exhibition opener at Minnesota. At home against Chicago on Saturday night, he was credited with one tackle and a quarterback hit.

"He's different," said offensive tackle Sean Locklear, who battles Babin in training camp practice. "It's almost good for us because he's explosive off the ball and he knows how to use his hands. He's almost slippery, I guess, at times."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2008120577_hawk18.html
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1