SPORTS FANS UNITED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPORTS FANS UNITED

ALL SPORTS ALL THE TIME!!!! COME TALK SPORTS WITH US...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Chambers hopes to face familiar foe

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Chambers hopes to face familiar foe Empty
PostSubject: Chambers hopes to face familiar foe   Chambers hopes to face familiar foe Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 7:26 am

Chargers wide receiver Chris Chambers knows the numbers, and he joked Monday that Bills fans do, too.

“They call me ‘Bills Killer’ up there,” Chambers said with a laugh. “Bills fans are great fans. I always enjoy going there.”

In 11 career games against the Bills, Chambers has caught 47 passes for 665 yards and seven touchdowns. He has more receptions against New England and New York, the other two teams he faced twice a year during his time with the Dolphins, but his yardage and touchdown totals are the most he’s put up against any opponent.

Chambers didn’t practice Wednesday due to the sprained ankle that kept him out of Sunday’s win over the Patriots, but he says he’s getting better daily and hopes he’ll be able to get back on the field this week.

The eight-year veteran vividly recalls some of his big days against Buffalo. His first career trip to Western New York yielded a 101-yard, two-touchdown performance. In December of 2005, he caught 15 passes for 238 yards in Buffalo, both of which are single-game highs for the eight-year veteran.

“We were losing by 10 points in the fourth quarter and I scored two touchdowns to beat them my rookie year,” Chambers said. “Then I scored a touchdown with six seconds on the clock (in 2005). I’ve had some good ones against them.”

Sunday is also special for Chambers in that he’ll get to play against one of his good friends. He and Bills wide receiver Lee Evans played together at Bedford High School in the Cleveland area, and Evans followed his buddy to the University of Wisconsin. Chambers joked that he deserves all the credit for getting Evans to Madison. The two speak regularly and work out together during the offseason.

“He’s a tremendous talent and a great guy,” Chambers said. “I watch all their games and he watches us. We really pull for each other. I’m not in the AFC East anymore but I’m glad I’ll still get to see him.”

Injury update

Five Chargers, including Chambers, wide receiver Buster Davis (groin), linebacker Jyles Tucker (knee) and running backs LaDainian Tomlinson (toe) and Darren Sproles (ankle) did not practice Wednesday, while fullback Mike Tolbert (ankle) and safety Eric Weddle (shoulder) were limited. Head Coach Norv Turner is hopeful that all seven players will be able to play in Buffalo.

“We’ve had a number of guys who haven’t been able to practice early in the week,” Turner said. “We’ve been lucky they’ve been able to practice late in the week and play. I really believe our injury situation has improved over the last month. I think we’ve got a chance of having most of those guys for Sunday’s game.”

Bills cornerback Terrence McGee (knee) and Pro Bowl defensive end Aaron Schobel (foot) missed practice, while quarterback Trent Edwards (concussion) fully participated.

Chargers mourn

The Chargers were sad to learn Wednesday morning of the passing of former defensive end Chris Mims.

The team’s first-round choice in 1992 was found dead at his Los Angeles-area home Wednesday. The cause of death had not yet been determined, but foul play was not suspected.

Mims spent the first four seasons of his NFL career in San Diego before signing with the Washington Redskins in 1997. After one year in the nation’s capital, he returned to the Bolts and played his final two seasons with the club. With 38 career sacks, he’s tied with Burt Grossman for 10th on the club’s all-time list.

Mims is the fifth member of the Chargers’ 1994 AFC Championship squad to have passed away. The others are Rodney Culver, David Griggs, Doug Miller and Curtis Whitley.

Practice squad move

The San Francisco 49ers claimed fullback David Kirtman from the Chargers’ practice squad Tuesday. The Bolts signed fullback Billy Latsko, who attended training camp with the Steelers, to replace him.

Statistically speaking

Philip Rivers moved back into the NFL lead in passer rating with his three-touchdown performance Sunday night. At 109.4, he's 4.4 points better than his old buddy Drew Brees. Rivers and Tony Romo, who will miss the next month with a broken finger, are tied for the league lead with 14 TD passes.

Mike Scifres still leads the NFL in net punting average (43.3 yards per punt). Prior to Sunday, Sproles didn't have enough punt returns to qualify for the league lead. With two long ones against the Patriots, he's now tied with Eddie Royal for 4th in the league (14.3 yards per). Reggie Bush leads the NFL at 26.9.

Lesson learned

Chargers running back Jacob Hester fumbled just once during his college career, and oddly enough it came on his second carry at LSU. In Sunday night’s win, Hester suffered the same fate on his second touch of his NFL career, and it’s not something he’s happy about.

“My job was to go in and protect the ball and protect the lead,” Hester said. “I’ve got to be better than that.”

Turner said that he believes Hester learned a valuable lesson Sunday night and will continue to learn.

“Taking care of the ball is all technique,” Turner said. “Jacob was careless with the ball. The ball got away from his body. He’s got the best role model you can have in LT. It’s not because (LT) doesn’t want to fumble, it’s because he’s got the best technique I’ve ever seen in terms of taking care of the football, knowing the pressure points, knowing how to handle the ball in the crowd.”

Tomlinson hasn’t lost a fumble since Week 6 of the 2006 season.

http://chargers.com/news/headlines/chambers-hopes-to88618.htm
Back to top Go down

Chambers hopes to face familiar foe
Page 1 of 1