SPORTS FANS UNITED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPORTS FANS UNITED

ALL SPORTS ALL THE TIME!!!! COME TALK SPORTS WITH US...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Seahawks' Grant recants Dallas blitz

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Seahawks' Grant recants Dallas blitz Empty
PostSubject: Seahawks' Grant recants Dallas blitz   Seahawks' Grant recants Dallas blitz Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 9:54 am

Hawks safety says postgame comments were taken wrong
By CLARE FARNSWORTH
P-I REPORTER

RENTON -- After the Seahawks' Thanksgiving Day loss in Dallas, strong safety Deon Grant made some very pointed comments about the defense's inability to put more pressure on Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo.

On Wednesday, Grant attempted to blunt the impact of his statements.

"After the game, 'blitz' never came out of my mouth," Grant said after the team's first practice to prepare for Sunday's game against the New England Patriots at Qwest Field.

"What I was saying is pressure on the quarterback. When I say that, that's even if it's a four-man rush. I wasn't talking about what the call is. The quote in the paper, 'blitz' was inferred, but that's not what I meant by that."

It just sounded that way. In response to a question about why the Seahawks had not started blitzing Romo sooner, Grant offered, "I can't talk about that, but you know. Nothing needs to be said. You know what time it is on that."

Asked Monday about Grant's comments, coach Mike Holmgren credited them to the frustration of losing another game and falling to 2-10 -- a slide greased by Romo leading the Cowboys to 24 points on their first four possessions.

Asked Wednesday about Grant's comments, defensive coordinator John Marshall said he wouldn't answer the question, but then did a pretty good job of doing just that.

"If I did answer the question, it would possibly open the door for more questions," Marshall said. "Anything that was said after the game, I think, needs to be clarified by whoever said it."

Grant made sure he did that.

"John and I are straight," he said. "I never mentioned John Marshall's name. ... So when I was saying we don't do our job, as far as playing to our strength, I'm talking about the individual players."

The Seahawks' 30th-ranked defense getting defensive? It did on this day.

Grant defended Marshall, offering, "I'm not going to talk about what John called. I like John as a defensive coordinator. John and I have a great relationship."

Marshall defended when and why he calls blitzes. He pointed out that in the Week 11 loss to Arizona he dialed up the blitz eight times in the first 12 plays on a drive that ended with a field goal.

"Pressure is one of those things, it's not necessarily feast or famine, but you can get balls caught on you. Or, you can make some great plays at the ball," he said.

"You can get sacks. Or, if they keep seven-man protection in and you've got a five-man pressure coming, they're probably going to block it.

"So pressure isn't always the answer."

HAWK TALK: Center Chris Spencer was placed on injured reserve because of a disc problem in his back. Tackle Na'Shan Goddard was signed off the New York Giants practice squad to fill Spencer's roster spot, but Steve Vallos will continue to start at center. ... Linebacker Leroy Hill is doubtful for Sunday's game. The team's leading tackler got a stinger against the Cowboys and has not regained enough strength in his right arm to be cleared to practice. ... Guard Erik Robertson was signed to the practice squad.

FOCUS ON: DEION BRANCH

Things haven't exactly worked out as planned for Deion Branch or the Seahawks since they traded for the former New England Patriots wide receiver in 2006.

Injuries have limited Branch to 15 of a possible 28 games and 62 receptions with four touchdown catches. Not the kind of return the club was expecting after investing a first-round draft choice to acquire Branch and a six-year,

$39 million contract to appease him.

"He hasn't been healthy with us necessarily, not the way he'd like," coach Mike Holmgren said Wednesday. "But certainly, we needed someone to step forward and kind of be the leader of that group, and he never really got the chance to. ... When you trade a No. 1 pick for somebody, yeah, you have high hopes for whomever you get. That's for sure."

Diminished results, however, do not dampen the significance of this week for Branch, because the Seahawks are hosting the Patriots at Qwest Field on Sunday. Branch was the MVP in Super Bowl XXXIX while playing for the Patriots.

"It will be a little strange and a little exciting," Branch told reporters who cover the Patriots during a conference call. "Just to, man, it's crazy. I was looking at my playbook this morning, and I saw the New England Patriots helmet."

Imagine how crazy it will feel Sunday, when those helmets are on players who remain his friends -- or even Saturday, when Branch plans to visit the Patriots at their team hotel.

"Most of all, it will be a little strange, but a little exciting, to be out there playing against all my friends," he said.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/390553_hawk04.html
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1