SPORTS FANS UNITED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPORTS FANS UNITED

ALL SPORTS ALL THE TIME!!!! COME TALK SPORTS WITH US...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Grant backpedals on his comments

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Grant backpedals on his comments Empty
PostSubject: Grant backpedals on his comments   Grant backpedals on his comments Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 9:57 am

FRANK HUGHES; frank.hughes@thenewstribune.com
Published: December 4th, 2008 12:05 AM
RENTON – Speaking for the first time since he criticized some of the defensive schemes following the Seattle Seahawks’ 34-9 loss to the Dallas Cowboys, safety Deon Grant backed away from the statements, saying they were taken out of context.

Grant was frustrated after the game that the defense did not start pressuring Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo until after the Seahawks fell behind in the second quarter, 24-3.

On Wednesday, Grant said, “When I say pressure, pressure means a guy in the quarterback’s face,” Grant said. “I don’t talk about blitzes. Blitzes never came out of my mouth. It is pressure. Even if you are in the game on the front line, you have to make sure all the lanes are covered when that quarterback steps up in the hole.

“That is the key; you have to keep a guy in the quarterback’s face. That is pressure. Pressure is not always blitzing. That’s what some people think. Pittsburgh, that is the real definition of pressure. They got four turnovers (against New England) and they barely blitzed. But they got pressure on the quarterback with them four guys they had and three guys they had rushing.”

Following the loss to Dallas, when asked why the defense has been a disappointment this year, Grant said: “I think with our defense this year, we knew what we had coming back and we didn’t know how to play to our strengths. And we are still figuring out what is our strength. Some of the players know what the strength is. Some of the coaches know what the strength is. We just haven’t put it together.”

When Grant was asked if the Seahawks should have employed a different defensive strategy against Romo earlier in the game, he said, “That does not need to be said, but you know what we are talking about.”

When he met with the media following Wednesday’s practice, Grant said he was concerned about how his comments were portrayed in the media, particularly that the comments seemed to reflect badly on defensive coordinator John Marshall.

“I never mentioned John Marshall’s name. Then I read ... the quotes and saw that that was what I was meaning about John. I didn’t have a problem with what he called. Me and John have a great relationship. I tell the guys all the time: Forget what the call is, we have to go out here and execute individual plays.”

Marshall, who was interviewed before reporters met with Grant, declined to respond to Grant’s statements following the game.

“I could get into it,” Marshall said, “but if I did answer the question ... it would possibly open the door for more questions. So anything that was said after a game, I think it needs to be clarified by whoever said it.”

The fact remains, though, that since defensive end Patrick Kerney injured his shoulder against San Francisco on Oct. 26 and subsequently went on injured reserve, the defense has only seven sacks in five games, a large part of the reason that the Seattle secondary is now the worst in the NFL, giving up 265 passing yards a game.

The Seahawks’ front four is not consistently getting to the quarterback. But often this season, when the defense has blitzed, the cornerbacks have been beaten on deep passes.

“Pressure is one of those things that is not necessarily feast or famine, but you can get balls caught on you,” Marshall said. “Pressure isn’t always the answer. Obviously, there isn’t any one answer. But I think playing (all out) with all the speed you got is important. And blitzing may make you appear fast, but it doesn’t mean you are fast. Playing the game with speed and exactness, that is what is important.”

Both Marshall and coach Mike Holmgren said that they take players’ recommendations under consideration and may apply the pressure philosophy this week against New England.

“In their mind, if they think a way is better, I think you have to listen to them a little bit,” Holmgren said. “I believe that. I think we’ll do some of that probably ... on defense.”

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/seahawks/story/557279.html
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1