SPORTS FANS UNITED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPORTS FANS UNITED

ALL SPORTS ALL THE TIME!!!! COME TALK SPORTS WITH US...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Deuce takes good first step 2 PAGES

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Deuce takes good first step 2 PAGES Empty
PostSubject: Deuce takes good first step 2 PAGES   Deuce takes good first step 2 PAGES Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 8:29 am

Deuce takes good first step
Recovering RB displays typical power running
Sunday, August 17, 2008
By Nakia Hogan

In the days leading to Saturday night's preseason game against the Houston Texans, Deuce McAllister talked about returning to the running form he displayed in 2003-05, the period when he was considered one of the NFL's top running backs.

He talked about huge rushing seasons and racking up touchdowns.

No one knows if such feats are still possible for a 29-year-old running back coming off three knee surgeries during the past three years.

But Saturday night, in his first game since Sept. 24 of last season, when he tore his left anterior cruciate ligament, McAllister showed he was capable of providing the Saints with something they were sorely missing last season after he went down with the season-ending injury in Week 3 against the Tennessee Titans.

Against the Texans, McAllister was a consistent power runner, whose ball carrying and receiving skills were enough to help keep the chains moving in the first half of the Saints' 31-27 loss to the Houston Texans at the Superdome.

He finished the game with four carries for 16 yards, a 4.0 yard average (The Saints averaged 3.7 yards last year). He also caught two passes for 10 yards.

"I'm happy with the way this first game, this first chance to play, went," said McAllister. "I felt good out there. I felt like I played average at best. But it's a start, and you have to start somewhere."

McAllister, who also is coming off microfracture surgery on his right knee, touched the football six times Saturday night. Three times he converted those touches into first downs.

McAllister didn't break any big gains against the Texans, but he showed his surgically repaired knees were stable enough for contact and cutting.

His teammates were happy to have him back in the lineup.

http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-4/121895172190710.xml&coll=1
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deuce takes good first step 2 PAGES   Deuce takes good first step 2 PAGES Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 8:30 am

"He looked great," quarterback Drew Brees said. "It was good having the hammer back there."

"He had to go through the injuries and all sorts of stuff, so it's great for him to go out there and play and be successful and move the chains for us," offensive guard Jamar Nesbit said. "He brings a different dynamic to it. He's a big back. There aren't very many big backs in the league. Whenever you have a big back back there that can kind of make holes when there aren't any really helps the offense out."

McAllister gained 4 yards on the game's first play from scrimmage.

He didn't get the ball again until the second quarter, when he accounted for 22 yards in five plays during the Saints 10-play, 72-yard drive that ended with Brees completing a 5-yard touchdown pass to Marques Colston, putting the Saints ahead 20-17.

On the possession, McAllister picked up three 3 and a first down on a second-and-1 play from the Saints 37-yard line.

A few minutes later, he had his most impressive run. With the Saints facing a second-and-3, McAllister took a handoff from Brees and looked to turn the right corner. But he made a quick shift back inside and plunged through the right side of the line for a 5-yard gain.

Later during the drive, with the Saints facing a third-and-6, McAllister caught a short pass from Brees, and then lunged forward to pick up the first down. One play later, Colston caught his touchdown pass.

"I ran with some toughness, and I put my foot down a couple times in there," McAllister said. "So it's a start. I've had to stay patient through the whole process, and I'm still trying to make all the last year pay off. There is still a lot of work to do, but tonight was a start."

http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-4/121895172190710.xml&coll=1&thispage=2
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deuce takes good first step 2 PAGES   Deuce takes good first step 2 PAGES Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 10:01 pm

DEUCE IS ALWAYS A THREAT
Back to top Go down
UNCLE BIGBEAR
Admin
UNCLE BIGBEAR

PostSubject: Re: Deuce takes good first step 2 PAGES   Deuce takes good first step 2 PAGES Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 5:26 am

LEO wrote:
DEUCE IS ALWAYS A THREAT

I AGREE LEO AND ALL I AM HEARING HERE IS THE SAINTS ARE LOOKING FOR A GOOD YEAR AND DEUCE WILL HAVE TO BE A BIG KEY TO THAT...
Back to top Go down
https://uuuu.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Deuce takes good first step 2 PAGES   Deuce takes good first step 2 PAGES Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Deuce takes good first step 2 PAGES
Page 1 of 1