SPORTS FANS UNITED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPORTS FANS UNITED

ALL SPORTS ALL THE TIME!!!! COME TALK SPORTS WITH US...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hester up to new tricks, gets ready to fire from shotgun

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Hester up to new tricks, gets ready to fire from shotgun Empty
PostSubject: Hester up to new tricks, gets ready to fire from shotgun   Hester up to new tricks, gets ready to fire from shotgun Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 8:32 am

August 17, 2008
BY BRAD BIGGS bbiggs@suntimes.com

SEATTLE -- The Bears' quarterback battle looked a lot more interesting near the end of training camp when Devin Hester was taking direct snaps in the shotgun.

After all, the franchise's greatest quarterback, Sid Luckman, was a converted running back.

You don't see a lot of gadget plays in camp because teams like to wait until practices are held in secrecy before putting in their bells and whistles. That didn't stop the Bears from working on a few exotic plays in Bourbonnais, Ill. Plays with a run/pass option would be intriguing.

They didn't pull any aces out of their sleeve Saturday night against Seattle. Hester can get it done, though. He possesses a decent arm for a receiver, although he isn't going to top Marty Booker anytime soon in a throwing competition.

''I'm OK with it,'' Hester said. ''I'm no quarterback, though. We were just trying to spark up camp. You get into the last couple days and everybody is thinking about throwing some trick plays in there to liven things up. It's just something we've made up. I'm open for anything.''

A handful of teams have broken out trick plays on special teams in the preseason, but don't look for offensive coordinator Ron Turner to show his hand.

''We've got a whole playbook of them,'' receivers coach Darryl Drake said. ''It might be a while before we show them. We're not going to show them in preseason. You have to practice them. You've got to save them for when it counts. You start showing all that stuff in preseason, them guys on the other side of the ball, they're pretty damn smart.''
On the run

Running back Kevin Jones, returning from a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, wasn't ready to play, but the Bears are hopeful to get a look at him Thursday when the San Francisco 49ers come to Soldier Field.

Jones' ability to be ready for the start of the regular season will help shape decisions when it comes to trimming the roster. If Jones stays, the Bears will have four running backs and would be highly unlikely to keep two fullbacks as they did last season.

In that scenario, Lousaka Polite could be in jeopardy. The fullback has been de-emphasized somewhat with the offense doing more work with two tight ends. Greg Olsen replaces starter Jason McKie in some instances.

''It's nothing I can control, No. 1, and No. 2, I have been in tight spots and I understand that they have to make decisions that are best for the team,'' Polite said. ''I really don't think about that. I've been on the other side. I've been released. All I can do is play hard in these games, do the best I can and see how it falls.''

Polite was picked up at the end of the summer last year and was inactive for the first 11 games before dressing for five at the end of the season. The veteran has bounced around but could have some value in trade.
Extra points

If the Bears are looking for some depth down the line at offensive tackle, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers cut Luke Petitgout after he failed a physical. Petitgout tore the ACL in his right knee in Week 4 last season after signing a three-year, $15.5 million contract.

• • Defensive tackle Tommie Harris was rested to keep him off the artificial surface at Qwest Field. It's a move the Bears also made in the preseason last year. Harris was wearing a brace on his left knee at practice earlier this week. Israel Idonije started in his place.

• • Wide receiver Rashied Davis was excused from the trip for personal reasons.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/1111754,CST-SPT-bearnt17.article
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1