SPORTS FANS UNITED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPORTS FANS UNITED

ALL SPORTS ALL THE TIME!!!! COME TALK SPORTS WITH US...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

QB Jackson leaves game with bruised knee; Vikings still beat Ravens

Go down 
AuthorMessage

QB Jackson leaves game with bruised knee; Vikings still beat Ravens Empty
PostSubject: QB Jackson leaves game with bruised knee; Vikings still beat Ravens   QB Jackson leaves game with bruised knee; Vikings still beat Ravens Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 8:38 am

Jackson leaves game after injuring right knee but says he's fine
By Rick Alonzo
ralonzo@pioneerpress.com
Article Last Updated: 08/17/2008 12:44:22 AM CDT

BALTIMORE — Tarvaris Jackson was lucky.

The Vikings quarterback suffered a bruised right knee at the end of a run late in the first quarter of an exhibition game Saturday night at Baltimore and did not return.

Coach Brad Childress said after the Vikings' 23-15 victory that Jackson would be re-examined today as a precautionary measure. The Vikings must hope that Jackson's injury is just a bruise, especially after they lost two key players to season-ending knee injuries in the exhibition opener.

Jackson was wearing a brace on his knee on the sideline after he exited the game, and he walked out of the locker room later feeling fortunate.

"It's fine," Jackson said. "I don't have any pain."

That's a good sign for Jackson and the Vikings. But his latest scare is an indication that Jackson is susceptible to injuries. He missed four games last season.

He said he's probably going to have to start being more cautious when he gets out of the pocket and takes off running.

"Probably so," he said. "It's just my instinct, but I've got to do what I've got to do to be out there."

Childress said he thought Jackson might have been able to return to the game if it had been the regular season, but there was no need to risk further injury.

"I'm sure he'll be stiff and sore in the morning," Childress said. "We'll just see how he responds. I'm not that concerned. He's a tough kid."

Jackson was playing well before the injury. He completed 7 of
Advertisement
11 passes for 82 yards and a touchdown, leaving the game with a 116.5 quarterback rating. He also had two carries for 22 yards.

Jackson kept the opening drive alive with a 13-yard scramble on third and 11 at the Vikings' 29-yard line. Then again on third and 11, he hooked up with Visanthe Shiancoe for a 19-yard gain.

Jackson capped the drive with a 23-yard touchdown pass to Martin Nance. Jackson completed 4 of 6 passes for 53 yards on the drive.

The Vikings marched down the field on their opening possession despite the absence of big-play receiver Bernard Berrian, who did not play because of a sore toe.

Jackson was injured during Minnesota's second offensive series. Jackson was scrambling on a second and 10 from the Minnesota 48 when he was hit on the left leg and hip area by linebacker Antwan Barnes. Jackson kept his balance and was falling forward when he finally was brought down by safety Dawan Landry after a gain of 9 yards.

Jackson said he was injured at the end of the run. He got up after the tackle and was limping slightly, then paused, shaking his right leg before joining the huddle.

Jackson remained in the game for two more plays, an Adrian Peterson run and a pass to Sidney Rice. After the completion, Jackson limped toward the sideline and went down to the ground, lying on the turf before he was helped off the field with 1:57 remaining in the first quarter.

After the game, Jackson described his level of concern as "very low." He felt even better because of the way he played.

Although he has played roughly two quarters combined so far this exhibition season, he has looked sharp. He completed 8 of 11 passes against Seattle in the exhibition opener for 118 yards and a touchdown with no turnovers. On Saturday, he protected the football again, if not his body.

"I'm just trying to keep it going, get some momentum for the regular season," Jackson said. "Throughout practice, though the whole training camp, I've felt more comfortable."

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_10224900
Back to top Go down

QB Jackson leaves game with bruised knee; Vikings still beat Ravens Empty
PostSubject: Re: QB Jackson leaves game with bruised knee; Vikings still beat Ravens   QB Jackson leaves game with bruised knee; Vikings still beat Ravens Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 11:42 pm

Uh oh the Vikings QB is hurt, that means the Vikings might have to rely on Gus Ferotte to help them out, hey maybe they can trade for Brett Farve LOL.
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1