SPORTS FANS UNITED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPORTS FANS UNITED

ALL SPORTS ALL THE TIME!!!! COME TALK SPORTS WITH US...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Rivers running strong through first two

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Rivers running strong through first two Empty
PostSubject: Rivers running strong through first two   Rivers running strong through first two Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 5:05 am

The last two Monday mornings, Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers has looked through the stat sheets and been pleased with his completion percentage, his yards, his sacks taken, his touchdown to interception ratio and his passer rating.

“Then you look at the last thing and it says ‘L,’” Rivers said.

Although he has the NFL’s third-best passer rating and is tied for the league lead in touchdown passes with six, Rivers is pleased with his play but he can’t completely enjoy it because of the outcome of the first two weeks.

“I’ve said a million times, our job as an offense is to score one more point than the other team,” Rivers said. “We’ve done a lot of good things and had a lot of yards and had some nice touchdowns, big runs and plays, but I don’t think if you ask anyone on our offense if they’ll really feel good about it because we haven’t won.”

Through two weeks, Rivers has thrown six touchdowns and just one interception, with the one miscue coming on a controversial play last week in Denver. He’s passed for 594 yards, the second-best two-game total of his young career.

Rivers has been even more impressive when it has mattered most. His 143.8 fourth-quarter passer rating is the second-highest figure in the NFL. Exactly half of his touchdown throws have come in the final quarter, and for the sixth and seventh time in his three seasons as a starter, he has given the Chargers a fourth quarter lead.

“There’s a lot of good things and there are some, they drive me crazy because they’re missed throws that when you win the game you go, ‘Golly, if I’d have hit that…,’” Rivers said. “Then you watch them when you lose by one and you think, ‘Man, that’s the difference in a field goal and a touchdown.’”

Rivers finished extremely strong in 2007, throwing seven touchdowns and three interceptions in December to lead the Chargers to five-consecutive wins. He then caught fire in January as the Bolts advanced to the AFC Championship Game and he’s been able to build on that finish.

“I think finishing the season and playing pretty consistent last year has carried over,” Rivers said. “Then more than anything, I think the comfort level with what we’re doing is a year better and each game you’re a game better.”

Rivers and Head Coach Norv Turner are both quick to point out that the parts around the quarterback are functioning at a high level, which always helps the player running the offense.

“He’s got guys making plays for him all around the field and he’s getting them the ball,” Turner said. “He’s playing with great confidence. I think we’ve done a good job of protecting him. He obviously has gained a lot of experience. He had a great offseason getting physically better and mentally better.”

While Rivers won’t allow himself to be completely satisfied with his play because of the team’s record, he admits that the production of the offense is helping him stay optimistic and get excited about what’s to come.

“We’re doing some good things and I think that’s…what can keep us sane right now, keep us from going crazy,” Rivers said. “It’s not like we’re out there and just look lost and don’t know what’s going on. It’s amazing how close 0-2 and 2-0 is. That’s no consolation, but that can certainly add to the outlook.”

http://chargers.com/news/headlines/rivers-running-strong.htm
Back to top Go down

Rivers running strong through first two
Page 1 of 1