SPORTS FANS UNITED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPORTS FANS UNITED

ALL SPORTS ALL THE TIME!!!! COME TALK SPORTS WITH US...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Turner pleased with Rivers, O-Line

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Turner pleased with Rivers, O-Line Empty
PostSubject: Turner pleased with Rivers, O-Line   Turner pleased with Rivers, O-Line Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 1:38 am

Chargers running back Darren Sproles may have deservedly walked away with most of the pats on the back following his 102-yard performance Monday night, but Head Coach Norv Turner made sure Tuesday to hand out some praise to the guys who helped Sproles get to the century mark.

“I thought that’s the best we’ve played in the preseason in the last two years as an offensive line,” Turner said. “I was very impressed with what our guys did against a very quick and I think a good seven-man front. We ran the ball well. Sproles obviously ran the ball well but he had a lot of room to do it in so that was good.”

As a team, the Chargers are averaging 4.8 yards per carry this preseason. That’s without any real long runs. Sproles’ 24-yard carry Monday night was the longest of the preseason.

“Those guys are so good,” Sproles said Monday night following the game. “There were a few times (Monday night) where I didn’t get touched until I was in the secondary. That makes things easy.”

Turner was pleased with the play of his entire line, but was particularly complementary of L.J. Shelton, who continues to fill in for Marcus McNeill.

“Early in camp I think L.J. was still struggling a little bit with the change in system, terminology and all that,” Turner said. “He had his best game against a very good football player, a guy that had given his last two opponents a real tough time. I was really impressed with the way L.J. performed and his production in the game.”

The offensive line play was one of a handful of areas that Turner liked Monday night. Quarterback Philip Rivers played nearly three quarters and completed 11-of-21 passes. Rivers was able to buy time with his feet and wasn’t sacked Monday night.

“I was excited and very pleased about the way Philip moved around,” Turner said. “I think that’s the biggest test you have when you’re coming off the type of surgery that Philip had. Can you move with that naturalness, that fluidness, and be your old self sitting in the pocket and throwing and doing the things we do in practice?’”

Turner also gave a nod of approval to the way his team performed in the kicking game.

“We continue to do an outstanding job on special teams,” Turner said. “Our kickoff coverage is outstanding right now. We have a lot of guys who are fighting hard to be a factor in that, and Nate is kicking the ball extremely well.”

While Chargers starters played into the third quarter Monday night, they’re not likely to see much action in the preseason finale in San Francisco on Friday. Turner said Tuesday that tight end Antonio Gates will not play against the 49ers.

Others could see some action simply because they need the work, such as wide receiver Vincent Jackson, who played in the preseason for the first time Monday, and defensive tackle Jamal Williams, who hasn’t seen any action this August.

“There’s certain guys that we need to protect and there’s certain guys that we need to get ready to play in the opener,” Turner said. “You mentioned a couple guys I would anticipate Vincent playing some and if Jamal is ready to go I would love to play him some.”

Feeling good

Linebacker Jyles Tucker was the only injury the Chargers reported Monday night and the second-year pro was feeling fine after spending some time with the Bolts athletic training staff Tuesday morning.

“Tucker could have gone back in if it were a regular season game,” Turner said.

McNeill, who has missed all three preseason games with a stinger, will not play Friday but Turner is optimistic he’ll be ready for the regular-season opener against Carolina.

So Close

The Chargers will be one of five franchises featured in an upcoming NFL Network series titled America’s Game: The Missing Rings. The series is the newest installment of the Emmy Award-winning series that previously provided an in-depth look at all 42 Super Bowl winners.

The 1981 Chargers, who lost the “Freezer Bowl” AFC Championship Game to Cincinnati a week after defeating Miami in a double-overtime classic, will have one of the five shows dedicated to them.

The series debuts Thursday, September 18 at 7:00 PM PT and will examine five of the best teams that didn’t win the Super Bowl. Joining the Chargers in that group are the 1969 Minnesota Vikings, 1988 Cincinnati Bengals, 1990 Buffalo Bills, and 1998 Minnesota Vikings. Each episode is a personal portrait told by the men who lived it and felt it, not by those who watched or reported it.

Deepest sympathy

Former Chargers center Frank Cornish, a 1990 sixth-round draft choice of the Bolts, died in his sleep over the weekend. He was 40.

Cornish played two seasons with the Chargers before joining the Dallas Cowboys in 1992. He was a stockbroker for Wachovia Securities in the Dallas area and was involved in numerous charities in his post playing career.

http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/turner-pleased-with.htm
Back to top Go down

Turner pleased with Rivers, O-Line
Page 1 of 1