SPORTS FANS UNITED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPORTS FANS UNITED

ALL SPORTS ALL THE TIME!!!! COME TALK SPORTS WITH US...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hawks in Hawaii? Don’t expect many

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Hawks in Hawaii? Don’t expect many Empty
PostSubject: Hawks in Hawaii? Don’t expect many   Hawks in Hawaii? Don’t expect many Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 9:13 am

Hawks in Hawaii? Don’t expect many
FRANK HUGHES; frank.hughes@thenewstribune.com
Published: December 7th, 2008 12:05 AM

RENTON – The first time that Seattle Seahawks left tackle Walter Jones made the Pro Bowl, in 1999, he said he flew nearly 25 family members to Hawaii to enjoy the festivities with him.

This year, after making the trip across the Pacific eight consecutive times, Jones wonders if he’ll be going at all.

As the Seahawks undertake the final quarter of their season, starting today against the New England Patriots, the grim reality of their 2-10 record is that the accolades that accompany success no longer are guaranteed.

Last year, the Seahawks had six players named to the Pro Bowl, including first-timer Marcus Trufant. The year before that, they placed four players in the game, including longtime fullback Mack Strong. And the year they went to the Super Bowl, seven players went to Honolulu, five of them as starters.

This year, the Seahawks will feel fortunate if they have Jones named to the team off an offense that ranks among the worst in the league. There is a chance that Jones will not play today because of a leg injury, which would only hurt his case.

“I’m still the same player. I still go out there and do the same things I do to help this team win,” Jones said. “But you have to talk to the guys who are voting. I never get caught up in that stuff. I am appreciative of every time they voted me in. But like coach always says, a lot of times record determines who goes or not. If you are going to bank on the record, I might not make it.”

If nothing else, Jones could make it off reputation alone. Even at 34, he still is considered among the best tackles in the league – indeed, of all time.

He gave up two sacks on national TV on Thanksgiving to Dallas’ DeMarcus Ware, the league leader, but that was the exception rather than the norm – and injuries at least in part contributed to Jones’ letdown.

“If you are going out there doing your job, you still have to pick guys who make it tough for you to do your job,” Jones said. “Some of it is reputation. But I don’t think anybody makes it who doesn’t have a Pro Bowl season. Nobody has ever gone over there who hasn’t had a consistent year.”

Along with Jones, Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren also cited Trufant as a player who has had a Pro Bowl-worthy season.

Trufant’s interceptions are down to one from a career-high seven last year. But Holmgren points out that teams are not testing Trufant nearly as often, choosing instead to target Kelly Jennings and Josh Wilson.

It hurts Trufant’s chances that he plays in the worst secondary in the NFL, which relinquishes 265 yards a game and has given up 19 passing touchdowns.

“The Pro Bowl most of the time is about stats, and the numbers you put up and rankings,” Trufant said. “But you have to look at it from a player’s point of view. I am just out there to get better. I don’t have as many picks, but I’m just out there doing what I can for the team.”

Middle linebacker Lofa Tatupu has never known a season in which he hasn’t made the Pro Bowl. Last year, he was named to his first all-Pro team, as well.

But this year, beleaguered by injuries and in the middle of a defense that has had a stunning fall from grace, even Tatupu admits he should not be playing beyond the regular season.

“I don’t think I have been playing well enough to make it,” Tatupu said. “That is a bonus. What hurts the most is not making the playoffs. You ask anyone in here, it is nice to go to Hawaii. Yeah, it is cool. It is an honor and a privilege. But I don’t know if anyone can be really disappointed if they don’t go. I had a nice little streak there. Maybe I’ll go in the future, who knows?”

Tatupu has been accompanied by linebacker Julian Peterson each of the last two seasons. And Peterson made it twice before that while playing with the San Francisco 49ers.

“When you have the type of record we have, you have to be doing extraordinary stuff to make the Pro Bowl,” Peterson said. “You almost have to be an MVP candidate.

“Me personally, I don’t think I deserve to go over there, not to my standards. But if I go, I am not going to say no, either.”

blogs.thenewstribune.com/seahawks

SEAHAWKS GAMEDAY

SEATTLE (2-10) VS. NEW ENGLAND (7-5)

Kickoff: 1:05 p.m., Qwest Field.

Television: Ch. 7. Radio: 710-AM, 97.3-FM.

The series: The series is tied at 7. New England won the last meeting, 30-20, in 2004, in which Seattle’s Koren Robinson had a career-high nine receptions and a season-high 150 yards receiving. Prior to that, the teams had not met since 1993.

What to watch: This game was moved to the afternoon after it was “flexed” out of the nationally televised Sunday night slot in favor of Washington and Baltimore. The Patriots are favored by 4 1/2 points, but that could go up significantly now that it appears Matt Hasselbeck and Walter Jones will not play. It means that tackle Sean Locklear, who will be starting for Jones, is the only offensive lineman who began the season as a starter. Maurice Morris will start at running back. D.D. Lewis will start for Leroy Hill if Hill cannot go. The Seahawks’ secondary once again will be tested, this time by New England receivers Randy Moss and Wes Welker, who is second in the NFL in receptions (84). Patriots QB Matt Cassel has impressed many while standing in for injured Tom Brady. Of more concern, though, is Vince Wilfork, who will play over raw Seahawks center Steve Vallos.

TNT pick: Patriots, 37-6.

Prime numbers

NEW ENGLAND

No.Name (position)Ht./Wt.Year

16Matt Cassel (QB)6-4, 230Fourth

Had two consecutive 400-yard games that earned him player of week.

83 Wes Welker (WR) 5-9, 185Fifth

Got up from one of hardest hits of the season last week vs. Steelers.

81 Randy Moss (WR)6-4, 21011th

Patriots’ primary scoring threat has eight touchdowns this season.

75Vince Wilfork (NT) 6-2, 325Fifth

Will play over Steve Vallos. Third on the team in tackles with 62.

SEATTLE

No.Name (position)Ht./Wt.Year

15Seneca Wallace (QB)5-11, 205Sixth

Good thing he can scramble because he’ll be doing a lot of it.

69Steve Vallos (C)6-3, 312Second

Getting his second career start; must make line calls quickly.

66Mansfield Wrotto (G)6-3, 320Second

Gets his first career start and will be Vallos’ backup if Vallos gets hurt.

24Deon Grant (S)6-2, 215Ninth

After criticizing schemes last week, has a lot to prove this week.

Frank Hughes, The News Tribune RECENT Pro Bowl seahawks

DL Patrick Kerney

OL Walter Jones

DB Marcus Trufant

QB Matt Hasselbeck

LB Julian Peterson

LB Lofa Tatupu

OL Walter Jones

FB Mack Strong

LB Lofa Tatupu

LB Julian Peterson

RB Shaun Alexander