SPORTS FANS UNITED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPORTS FANS UNITED

ALL SPORTS ALL THE TIME!!!! COME TALK SPORTS WITH US...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Packers notes: Nelson impressive on kick returns

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Packers notes: Nelson impressive on kick returns Empty
PostSubject: Packers notes: Nelson impressive on kick returns   Packers notes: Nelson impressive on kick returns Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 8:37 am

By JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
jwilde@madison.com

SAN FRANCISCO — Rookie wide receiver Jordy Nelson didn't do much with his opportunity on offense, but he certainly thrust himself into the competition for the kickoff return job during the Green Bay Packers' 34-6 preseason loss to the San Francisco 49ers Saturday night.

Nelson, who played extensively from scrimmage with starting receiver Greg Jennings (knee) and No. 4 receiver Ruvell Martin (jaw) out but only had two catches for 10 yards, had 56- and 58-yard kickoff returns in the second half.

"The return game looked good. The guys up front were able to open up some holes and I was able to get a crease a couple times," said Nelson, who did not return kickoffs in college. "It was a way to get a big play and put our offense in a good situation."

Except the offense didn't capitalize.

After a field goal gave the 49ers a 17-3 lead midway through the third quarter, Nelson returned the ensuing kickoff 56 yards, starting to his right, cutting back to his left, then breaking free of an incidental facemask around the Packers' 45-yard line before the kicker finally brought him down at the San Francisco 33.

Although the offense went nowhere — a holding penalty on rookie tight end Jermichael Finley got the possession off to a poor start — the return did set up a 49-yard Mason Crosby field goal.

Nelson followed that up with a 58-yard return early in the fourth quarter, but the Packers didn't score because quarterback Matt Flynn was blindsided on back-to-back plays by Tully Banta-Cain, who beat left tackle Daryn Colledge each time. Flynn fumbled both times, recovering the first but not the second.

Asked if he might contribute on returns given the logjam in front of him at receiver, Nelson said, "Obviously it'd be great, but I'm not going to say that I should be (the returner) or anything like that. It's a way to get on the field and help make plays and help the team win."

Bush struggles

It was not Jarrett Bush's night. The Packers' third-year cornerback was victimized for three 20-plus yard gains on defense and flagged twice on special teams (one penalty was nullified).

On the 49ers' first touchdown drive, a 15-play, 87-yarder that ate up more than 9 minutes in the second quarter, Bush allowed a pair of third-down conversions from J.T. O'Sullivan to Jason Hill.

Bush was beaten again by Hill on a third-and-7 play midway through the third-quarter, a 27-yard completion from Alex Smith that set up a 49-yard Joe Nedney field goal to give the 49ers a 17-3 lead.

Bush was flagged for a pass interference penalty late in the third quarter on a fourth-down pass from Smith to Cam Colvin in the end zone to give the 49ers the ball at the 1-yard line and set up a 1-yard touchdown by Moran Norris.

"You can blame me for it, but at the same time, everybody has to be on the same page," Bush said. "They basically exploited us. We've got to fix it now so it doesn't happen again. We've done it numerous times in practice. It was just stupid, stupid miscommunications. We've got to get our stuff right."

Ryan back on track

Punter Jon Ryan had two poor punts out of seven in the Packers' preseason-opening loss to Cincinnati — 14- and 15-yarders — but the third-year punter was solid Saturday.

His first six punts averaged 49.3 yards, with three landing inside the 20. Each punt, with the hang-time in parenthesis: 47 yards (4.03 seconds); 56 (4.41); 54 (4.0); 39 (3.87); 48 (4.13); 52 (4.47).

"I felt I bounced back well," Ryan said. "I felt like I hit the ball well."

On his seventh and final punt, Ryan boomed a 56-yarder with 4.12 seconds of hang time — only to watch former Packer Allen Rossum return it 67 yards for a touchdown.

Pick parade

Charles Woodson finished his week of practice with a pair of interceptions, and he carried it over into the game by snaring an O'Sullivan pass to set up a field goal by Crosby.

Woodson made the play when he came off his man and stepped in front of a pass intended for tight end Vernon Davis. As he was returning it, Woodson fumbled the ball but slapped it out of bounds to keep possession.

"It was a man-to-man play, but if my receiver does a certain thing, I can come off of him because there's help inside," Woodson said. "I came off and he threw the ball right to me. You just hope that it's a sign of things to come."

Extra points

The only injury, according to coach Mike McCarthy, was a knee injury to tight end Evan Moore. Moore said after the game the injury wasn't serious. ... With starting will linebacker A.J. Hawk sitting out with a chest injury, Brandon Chillar got the start in his place. ... In addition to Hawk, Jennings and Martin, nine other players were scratched from the Packers' lineup due to injuries: halfback Ryan Grant (hamstring), safety Charlie Peprah (knee), halfback DeShawn Wynn (ankle), linebacker Desmond Bishop (Achilles' tendon), offensive tackle Orrin Thompson (ankle), defensive tackle Ryan Pickett (hamstring), tight end Tory Humphrey (Achilles' tendon), defensive tackle Justin Harrell (back) and defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (knee). ... No. 2 quarterback Brian Brohm and center Junius Coston fumbled an exchange to set up a 49ers touchdown late in the third quarter. ... The loudest cheer of the night might've been midway through the third quarter when the scoreboard showed the news U.S. Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps had won his record eighth gold medal.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/packers/301053
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1